2013-2014 Offseason Thread

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • When I was young Deion Figures was one of my favorites.

I'm interested in seeing what Cam Thomas can do. He doesn't seem to quite fit at NT or quite fit at DE, but if he gets himself in better shape, well I don't know. McLendon isn't an awesome NT either. I actually think McLendon would be a pretty decent DE if we can get Thomas to work as NT. But who really knows... I think Ta'amu was supposed to be our heir apparent but then he screwed us over with his drunkenness, and now we're left with a collection of NTs who aren't really NTs. We can't get the kind of push we really want from the middle and I'm not sure there's a solution for that in this year's draft.

Even if we go an do something crazy like grab DE Tuitt in the second, he'll need some time to develop. So what I'm thinking is...

We need to get a DE somewhere from round 2 to 5. Then once the June 1st money clears, bring back Brett Keisel... one last season for the guy. If this is truly supposed to be Cam Heyward's breakout season, then we can get away with it. That gives us this season to both develop our rookie and get Cam Thomas into proper shape for the position.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• Not a bad plan. I think we are not the only ones who realize that when Diesel is healthy, he can still perform. I think he had a strip on his last play as a pro. I am fairly sure he is on our radar. I would not be surprised to see Dennard, Tuitt/Nix (one could be there), and then a WR in the third. Moreover, I think Diesel will be here after June 1. I think we will then be far more secure across the DLine and the secondary. We would be competitive. And if someone could make DHB's palms sweat stickum, we could be dangerous.

There's a sucker born every minute, and I am unequivocally my minute's representative.

• "vrabinec" wrote:

DHB = Dwight Stone aka Coach Killer.

I'd take Dennard & Nix. Fix the ddefense. Worry about the offense later. Sorry Ben, no bog WR this year. That said, if Kelvin Benjamin is there in the second, I'm all over that.

No arguments there, my friend.

There's a sucker born every minute, and I am unequivocally my minute's representative.

• This late draft is killing me.

This is going to be a frustrating draft even if we nail it, because there's so much 2nd-6th round talent this year, there will always be room for "what-ifs".

We might even draft a punter.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• "Mistah_Q" wrote:

This late draft is killing me.

This is going to be a frustrating draft even if we nail it, because there's so much 2nd-6th round talent this year, there will always be room for "what-ifs".

We might even draft a punter.

Kirby Van Der Kamp

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)

• Four more days. I go back and forth on who I really want in the first round but even if they don't get my favorites, I can probably live with it. A lot of talent out there this year.

• Yep, with semi-recent departure of MB and Dwins, we lost a lot of thread generating people. I will continue to check in an add, til they turn the lights out

"this place is a bit like Atlas Shrugged" ---Lemonhead

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

"Oh George, not the livestock"!

• "One Side Only" wrote:

I stil like this forum. The ohers are too big, and this one is home.

Totally agree. I've posted a little over at Steeler Universe, but it's just not the same.

"this place is a bit like Atlas Shrugged" ---Lemonhead

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

"Oh George, not the livestock"!