Default Avatars

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • New users won't get a blank avatar - they'll either get an auto-generated pixel robot thingie, or it will pull in their twitter picture if they sign up via twitter.

But what about users who existed before the import? Well, for active users, no trouble, they can just go grab their avatar or set up a new one. But there are a lot of old posts with that "missing image" blank avatar now. Here's where it gets interesting. I can either go and manually set up a couple hundred avatars, or I can run a query. The trouble is, I can do php, css, html... but sql is not my strong suit.

So I'm trying to figure out what the proper query is to update null avatars into default avatars (which should auto-generate them a new robot thingie).

Hang on tight! 99% chance that there are no issues at all, but there's a 1% chance that I could break avatars. Which will get sorted out but still, proper notice and such.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• update: query success. Members from the old forum who haven't logged in to set up their avatar yet will now have a default avatar. You shouldn't see anymore old posts with broken image avatars.

Now, here's the next thing - we have a few options for those default avatars. Right now it's set to "retro", but what do you think?

https://de.gravatar.com/site/implement/images/

A little more than halfway down the page, right before the Force Default headline, you'll see a few different default avatar choices -- and those are indeed what I have to work with here. Right now it's set to the retro pixel one (the "robot thingie" I mentioned earlier), but we could also set it to the other faces, or geometric patterns or monsters. I almost went with monsters when I first set it up but the retro seemed pretty cool too.

Any heavy preferences?

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• Switched to monsters because I previewed a few and it's hilarious. Random generated per user based on some hash checks.

Check out Master Blaster's new digs

Of course they go away when the user sets a real avatar but, my sense of humor is thus