Bosa, Marshall among 4 banned; marijuana, academics at issue, source says

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • CHICAGO -- Ohio State will open its national title defense without two of its most valuable players, including All-America defensive end Joey Bosa.

The Buckeyes announced suspensions for Bosa, H-backs Jalin Marshall and Dontre Wilson, and wide receiver Corey Smith on Thursday, increasing the degree of difficulty when they visit Virginia Tech on Sept. 7.

A source told ESPN's Joe Schad that the suspensions were due to either marijuana or academics. Ohio State cited a violation of athletic department policy in announcing the bans.

Coach Urban Meyer commented on the suspensions Thursday.

"I kind of knew about this for a little bit," he said. "The university and the athletic department has policies that I fully support. Whether it's a sprained ankle or stuff [like a suspension], you try to create a culture and move forward. We lost Braxton Miller [last season] 10 days before our first game, we lost J.T. Barrett a week before the Big Ten championship game, and you just push forward. Get going, move forward."

Bosa is the reigning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and is projected as a potential No. 1 draft pick if he elects to skip his senior season, as is widely expected.

Read more

• Stupid on the players parts. Whether it's marijuana or academics doesn't matter. Neither should be a problem. Academically they get all the tutoring they want and if it's marijuana just stay away from it or at a minimum keep it to confined personal areas. Luckily for Bosa it may just be early enough that if he keeps his nose clean after this by the time it comes for him to get drafted it may just be forgotten about.

• While I'm not going to say how I feel about marijuana laws, it's pretty danged stupid to toke up and risk throwing away a chance at a career that'll pay you millions.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• Well it didn't matter against V-Tech. The Bucks rolled. Braxton Miller made a wise choice in deciding to change positions. He was never going to make it in the NFL as QB but now he's given himself the opportunity to put some film out there as a slot WR. Get him the ball in open space and look out.

• Well it didn't matter against V-Tech. The Bucks rolled. Braxton Miller made a wise choice in deciding to change positions. He was never going to make it in the NFL as QB but now he's given himself the opportunity to put some film out there as a slot WR. Get him the ball in open space and look out.

no question about it Miller looks like he will thrive at WR

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin