Occasional Site Performance Issues

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!

• BIG EDIT: The conversation below was about the poor performance on our old host/server. The site has since been moved to a new home and is working great.

Tonight the site is running rather slowly - it crops up once in a while and was an issue here during the Hall of Fame Game.

The issue has to do with godaddy hosting and how it groups databases - essentially, the portion of the site that is called up, all the posts, user database, etc, can really suffer at unpredictable times dependent on the traffic to godaddy sites in general. That's why usually the site seems fine, but once in a while (like tonight) it sucks.

Now, we're looking to remedy this. I'm investigating a couple alternate hosting options that I want to talk with the site owner about, and I'm interested in having the site on a better-performing host in time for the regular season to begin and the site traffic to really pick up.

In the meantime if you have any suggestions or ideas for site hosting, feel free to reply or to drop me a line.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• Great, will PM you with more details. Technically speaking I don't need him to lift a finger other than giving the okay, just want to make sure I've got all bases covered before diving in.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• it has been horrid today have got this more often than I care to count ...

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error ormisconfiguration and was unable to completeyour request.
    Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred,and anything you might have done that may havecaused the error.
    More information about this error may be availablein the server error log.

as a side note wonder if they are hiring ? as even I realize you should hit the space bar between words 4 typos in that little mini paragraph

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• It's been ridiculous. What's sad is I have a space to move to with a shell of the forum set up and most of what I need to do is just importing the database (posts, users, etc).

But I couldn't even take a backup of the database earlier today it was so bad... I actually gave up in frustration and left the house, didn't even watch the rest of the Steeler/Packer game. Came home and took a nap. Just got up and... it's still bad. I think at 1AM I'll put the forum into maintenance mode and see if that lets me pull a database backup.

• That's a standard complaint about them - that they respond to performance issues with upgrade offers.

• just a guess , but if I where a betting man ( oh wait ) ...

tomorrow morning it will run smooth as can be

good thing nobody wanted to bet ...

thank God we are moving to a new host , this is not only embarrassing its beyond frustrating !

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• Yeah. I'm still trying to manage to pull a backup of the database. So, a typical managed server will have a timeout of ~20 - 30 seconds, that's not necessarily bad, it's an intentional thing that for the most part keeps users from screwing over the forum with scripts, stuff like that. But it also means that doing something like pulling a database backup... that's a server request that takes longer than those 20 - 30 seconds to do, so you can never finish if you try to do it in a straightforward way, just by getting into the SQL and trying to pull the database down. It will time out before you finish every time.

There's a way around it though, and that's with using a specialty function that will download the database in little pieces. SQL Dump or whatever you want to call it. It will pull little pieces of the database at a time and compile them later, to get around aforementioned timeout problem. And typically, doing that would mean, what I need to do is no problem to do at all. But the godaddy server has been so bad that I can't even pull small chunks of the database... it crashes every time I get the process going. Not times out, but crashes. Ugh.

• if taking the forum down to do so would help by all means do so ... would rather have a short term inconvenience than a long term frustration level ... but I am not sure that even helps you as I am just uninformed of these sort of undertakings

Ben Franklin

• The new host is somewhat online. It's going to take a day or so for the changes to fully propagate. So if you have errors going to www.draftsteel.com but not errors going to draftsteel.com (without the www) -- or if coming to the website works but it's showing you ip addresses instead of draftsteel.com... just give it some time.

• We had a little bit of an issue today, but it wasn't because of our hosting - it was (mostly) my fault. I was trying to install some scripts to pull RSS feeds and I broke the forum backbone. I had to reset the server and then rebuild the databases. All good now.

• We had a little bit of an issue today, but it wasn't because of our hosting - it was (mostly) my fault. I was trying to install some scripts to pull RSS feeds and I broke the forum backbone. I had to reset the server and then rebuild the databases. All good now.

Please, no broken bones. We have enough injuries ;) :D :D :D :D

Plus, I see none of these "issues". Great job with the maintenance of the site :thumbsup: