Guru thread- Steelers @ Broncos: Goodnight?

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • Not ready to make a prediction, but defense has to win the game, or t least put the offense in a position to win. Maybe we get lucky on special teams.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)

• Wednesday practice participation:
    Brown (concussion), Heyward (back), Roethlisberger (shoulder), Shazier (knee) and D. Williams (foot) did not practice. Ben did not throw at all today. AB still in concussion protocol.

Golden (shoulder), Johnson (hamstring) and V. Williams (hamstring) were limited.

Broncos are pretty healthy. OLB VMiller (sick), G Myers (sick), QB Osweiler (knee) did not practice. Safeties TJ Ward & Darian Stewart will both play this time around.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"

• Thursday, 14 Jan Injury Report

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
    S Will Allen (Not Injury Related)
    WR Antonio Brown (Concussion)
    TE Matt Spaeth (Not Injury Related)
    RB DeAngelo Williams (Foot)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
    S Robert Golden (Shoulder)
    RB Will Johnson (Hamstring)
    QB Ben Roethlisberger (Right Shoulder)
    LB Vince Williams (Hamstring)

FULL PARTICIPATION
    LB James Harrison (Not Injury Related)
    DE Cameron Heyward (Back)
    LB Ryan Shazier (Knee)

• This one comes down to turnovers. The Steelers are 11-2 when they force a turnover this season and 0-5 when they lose the turnover battle. Peyton Manning has thrown one touchdown pass and eight interceptions in his four starts at home. Add in to the mix that Manning is 0-5 in playoff games played in temperatures under 40 degrees, and the Steelers have a real chance at winning.

Manning throws a couple of picks, including one that sets up another comeback by Ben.

19-17 Steelers, with Boswell kicking the game winner late in the 4th quarter for the second straight week.

• It's really one of those games you don't want to touch, because of all the variables available. Here's one that I think will play a factor: The temperature and the injuries for the QB's in question. I remembering snickering when I was young, whenever an older member in my family used to complain that the cold was coming, because they could feel it in some old injury they had. Not anymore I wouldn't. It's true, very true. And it's worse for some, more than others.

The only reason I'd lean towards Ben over Peyton in this game, is because of his youth. Ben has been through hell, injury wise, this year. And he still continues to rise up for the occasion (Although the Cincy game at home wasn't one of them...). Peyton has never been through the wringer like Ben has over the years. That foot injury, has limited his movement in the pocket, and the Broncos can not afford the chance that Manning is hit or has to run for his life. Brock won't be able to go if Peyton goes down. His knee is still on the mend and still currently listed as questionable.

For the Steelers....Landry Jones. Yep. Look for Ben to gut it out, no matter what happens. This Defense has to make Peyton move around more than he'd like to. Their OLs might be healthy, but it's still possible to get your hands on Manning. And that's the real key here. Blow up the Ols and get Manning on the turf. For the other side, Ben can't make the silly mistakes like he has lately. Some call it a negative for the Steelers, that Brown won't be available in the passing game. But I see that as a plus. It means Ben can afford to spread the wealth around, since his #1 target won't be available. Do that, run the ball well, and the Steelers may very well come out of this game with a win, and a 'mysterious glowing chip' on their shoulder.

Broncos 20
    Steelers 23

• everything in me says we can not win this game down so many key guys , the accumulation of high profile injuries is ridiculous but something in the back of my head will not let me count them out , perhaps its Manning and cold weather games but the forecast is for 43 degrees so not quite sure that qualifies for " cold weather" ...

I look for Bulter to bring the house often and if he does and is successful of putting pressure on Manning , knocking him around a bit , moving him off his mark a lot I think we have a chance at picking a few balls off ... if that happens and ben doesn't return the favor ... I like our chances ...

If we do not do those things or Ben returns the favor I think we are in some real trouble ....

Steelers 20
    Bronco's 18

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• I think the Broncos will try and get the running game moving. If the Steelers can snuff the run and Butler dials up the blitzing, I don't think Manning will finish the game. I like our chances even with Ben limited and AB out. Manning throws 2 picks and looses a fumble.

Steelers-26
    Broncos- 20

• I have nothing to base this on, I just feel like we can win this game. Adversity has been our friend this season and it continues.

Steelers-24
    Broncos-13

"this place is a bit like Atlas Shrugged" ---Lemonhead

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

"Oh George, not the livestock"!

• its now changed .....

[twitter][url]https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/688815857087033344[/twitter[/url]]

I imagine Spaeth will be in a lot blocking with Johnson out. Three TEs. Maybe a big game for JJ.

"this place is a bit like Atlas Shrugged" ---Lemonhead

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

"Oh George, not the livestock"!