Steelers at Bengals Guru

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • I like the Steelers in a big way this week.

The Steelers are 13-2 at Paul Brown Stadium in the Marvin Lewis era.

Le'Veon Bell has only played two full games against the Bengals. Bell had one of the biggest games of his career in Cincinnati in 2014 when he ran for 185 yards and two touchdowns while catching six passes for 50 yards and another score in a 42-21 win. I think this game is going to look similar, but with fewer big pass plays from both teams. Ben is still going to hit some throws downfield, but I don't anticipate a 96 yard bomb like in that 2014 game.

AB had seven catches for 119 yards in last year’s playoff game before the Burfict hit. I expect similar numbers this week, although he hasn't cracked the century mark in receiving yards in a while.

The Steelers will use the jumbo package a lot, just like last week. Chris Hubbard played 30 snaps on offense against the Bills. I'd love to see him catch a pass . . . maybe he gets a 2 point conversion. This extra tight end formation forces the defense to commit to stopping the run, which actually opens up the passing game. I think Ben is going to use play-action quite effectively. I look for Ben to bounce back from that 3 interception, 37.8 passer rating performance against the Bills and put up good numbers. I suspect DeAngelo Williams is going to see some playing time in an effort to even out Bell's workload a bit. I think he and Bell will be in the backfield together at times, with Bell motioning out in an attempt to get him matched up on a linebacker. The Bengals have allowed more than 100 yards rushing eight times, including 169 against the Browns last week. Bell might get that much himself.

The Bengals offensive line isn't all that good. They don't run the ball that well and Rex Burkhead doesn't strike fear in anyone's heart. With or without A. J. Green (and I'm guessing without, based on his limited participation in practice Wednesday) Andy Dalton is going to be under duress most of the game. The Steelers are going to add to their sack total. The Steelers have allowed an average of 12.5 points and 257yards the last four games.I expect a similar effort this week.

Bill Vinovich's crew will officiate this week. The Steelers haven't seen him yet this year, but he was the referee in the Bengals win over the Dolphins on a Thursday night earlier this year. His crew calls a slightly lower than average number of penalties. In the Bengals-Dolphins game, Burfict's first game back after his suspension, there were no personal fouls called. Vinovich's crew was off last week. I don't anticipate penalties becoming a factor in the outcome, although Burfict remains the ultimate wild card.

The Number 2 seed is still possible, and Steelers continue down the road to the playoffs in convincing fashion, 27 - 13 over the Bengals.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)

The post was edited 1 time, last by One Side Only ().

• Okay, I see now why OSO is on fire. You are deeply invested and really kicked the shit out of this guru thread. So, I am going to have to just take a flyer, put some crap down, and see if I can hit on the points end of things. I mean, you even analyzed the officiating team. Jeez.

Okay, here goes.

Ben rights the embarrassment of three picks in an otherwise great Steelers performance by throwing for just under 350 yards and 2 TDs with NO picks. Couple big chunk 3rd down plays, at pivotal moments to LG, AB really hurt Cincinnati morale. The L. Bell onslaught continues, this time, however, he leaves without injury - except for the emotional scars he leaves upon Cincinnati defenders. The emerging NFL MVP has two TDs to go along with 153 by land and 90 by air.

On D, Hargrave gets 1.5 sacks - Dupree gets one and is a beast in the backfield with 3TFL. The old man gets 1.5 sacks with a FF and Shazier gets one and a forced fumble as well. Timmons cleans up the rest leads team with 13 tackles. Quickly developing Artie Burns gets his fourth pick of the season, and brings it back to the house on a perfectly executed screen read - for the first time we really get an idea how fast the rook is. The rest of the youth movement continues to mature with Sean Davis laying wood like Mitchell up near the line.

A capable but non-explosive AJ Green gets a few yards, and the Bengals running game looks less productive than the Bills'.

When it's all totaled up, despite a fairly tight, AFC North first Quarter and a half, locked up at 7-7, the Steelers mojo overpowers and eventually puts the Bengals into a deep, deep sleep.

Steelers 38

Bengals 20 (last TD in garbage time.)

There's a sucker born every minute, and I am unequivocally my minute's representative.

• well shit ....

a couple things ...

1) killer breakdown by both of you I appreciate the effort and enjoyed both reads ....

2) damn good to see Primantibro1 post and in a guru thread makes it even more pleasing ...

3) no way to top those 2 well written pieces so I can just throw a score out there with a couple of statistical guesses LOL

Ben 24-31-357 yards and 3 TDs

Bell 23 carries 146 yards -1 TD and 6-catches - 59 receiving yards

Green 4 catches 70 yards and a score

Brown 8 catches 121 yards and a score

Coates 2 catches 60 yards and a score

Rogers 4 catches 35 yards ...

Outlaw Jesse James 1-7 yards

Steelers 31
    Bungals 16

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• This ends up being a frustrating game. Haley seems determined to get all his toys on film in time for the playoffs. Forced deep balls to Coates, oddly timed routes up the seam to Green, bubble screens to Rogers on 3rd and long, you get the idea. Steelers move the ball but come inches away from breaking it open all game.

AJ Green shockingly plays for a Bengals team going nowhere. Sets the tone for one of those "beat the Steelers, play spoiler, and save Marvin Lewis' job" games that comes up every other year or so. While Green doesn't do much statistically, he serves as a great decoy for other weapons in the passing game as Dalton and company dink and dunk between the 20's. Steelers stiffen in the redzone and hold the TD's down for the most part.

As the Bengals continue to hang around, the game gets sloppy and penalty filled. Both teams don't really do much to distinguish themselves and then Bullock nails the last minute 52 yarder for the win.

Bengals - 15
    Steelers - 13

• http://profootballtalk.nbcspor…-bengals-get-hefty-fines/ Maybe the threat of fines will cause the Bengals to play nice on Sunday.

Also, Hargrave, Foster, Williams & Finney all cleared to play.

For the Bengals, Wallace Gilberry & A. J. Green doubtful. I was kinda hoping a hobbled A.J. Green would play.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by One Side Only ().

• I'm not even going to try and compete with those predictions, except to say that I don't see any way the Bungles can win this game. We have more weapons with Bell and Green, than the first meeting, and they have less, without Green. Our D has definitely improved since then.

Steelers-34
    Bungles-12

"this place is a bit like Atlas Shrugged" ---Lemonhead

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

"Oh George, not the livestock"!

• Ok Dwins....call this one...tough. All I know is, Mojouw is not the winner. Looked like it for a while. :D

well the first thing I do if its a 2-3 way battle is take mine and throw it away if it is in the hunt ....

but if I am being honest ( and it pains me to say it LOL ) OSO is only 3 points off the steelers score , 4 points off the total combined score and if not for a bad call ( IMO ) taking a TD off the board for the Steelers and us getting 3 instead he would have been on the mark ...

trust me it hurts to give him yet another one but the man has been a machine this year ....

OSO - :guru:

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• Thanks, Dwins; I'll take it. My insight was way off though. I should have counted in the Bengals being the Bungles and committing stupid penalties. However, I can see why that officiating crew calls lower than average number of penalties. They completely missed two obvious facemask penalties and generally let the Bengals get away with things until it just became too obvious.

• Damn P-bro, we get one prediction from you....then you're gone again? ;)

"this place is a bit like Atlas Shrugged" ---Lemonhead

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

"Oh George, not the livestock"!