STEELERS VS CHIEFS PLAYOFF GURU

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • Well, I like our chances. If our offense gets moving like last week and maintains it for 60 minutes we win. Our defense seems to be improving with each passing week. James Harrison is starting to look like the Harrison of years gone by and having Joe Green say james is his favorite player has to put a bit more fire in his back side. Hopefully Butler & Haley do their homework.

Steelers 38

Chiefs 24

• 27-26 Steelers in a cliff hanger , The Chiefs Def has playmakers sprinkled all over the place and I do not look to get out of town on the easy train ...

Ben will make mistakes Marcus Peters will be responsible for one of them , AB will not roam free and will have to work for everything he gets so Ayers and Rogers will have to step up in this one and be difference makers , if they do not our chances go to hell in a hand bag ... Green would be handy to have in this matchup but I do not expect him to start or maybe even play so its gonna be up to the young guys and some carefully executed screen plays to Bell for nice gains or we could be in trouble deep ...

calling for a Steelers win but suspect there is a very good chance we come out of there with our tails between our legs much like Miami did last week vs us ...

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• The time switch, I don't see any difference right now. It's not like they're coming from South Beach.

The weather is going to be nasty, some Chiefs fans have opted to sell their tickets, tickets were actually going for $30 at one point. Now that the time was moved back, I wonder how many took their sale down? In any case, this game won't be easy. I mean, the Chiefs at first glance appear to be nondescript, if you didn't know any better, you'd look right past them.

But those of us that know better, this Chiefs team didn't show up to play when they met the Steelers earlier in the season. Missing a couple of players don't make you lose your ass on national T.V., like the Chiefs did that night. Their roster has too much talent to lose like that.

I don't think anyone was expecting that beating behind the woodshed. There's a lot of talent on that roster for the Chiefs not to be good. I personally expect to see them in the playoffs for the next 6-8 years before there is some drop off. They play in a very competitive division, so we know they are battle tested. To be honest, I'd say they play in a division that's easily the equal of the AFC North.

This game is going to be close, it's going to be decided on the ground, in the wet, cold night, hopefully the wind doesn't pick up along the way. Just bad times for all. That's why the Steelers have to control the LOS and run the ball. The sooner they can give it to Bell to run the clock down, the better. Ben will have his share of passes, but don't expect to see anything north of 25 attempts. He might have a handful of long passes, but most likely, they will happen on freebies and broken plays. I can see a total of 5, maybe 6 TDs in this game for both sides. Boswell has to be decent in this game and keep it out of Hills hands. Squib that bastard to one of their linemen or kick it to the back end of the cheap seats. Whatever works. They need to put Kelce on notice, he can't be Alex's White Knight. Make their fans swoon over somebody else. But not Kelce. This also means putting Alex on his backside more often than not. When this game is over, his butt should be cold, wet, pale, and sore. And possibly suffering from hypothermia.

Steelers 24
    Chiefs 20

• KC's offense and run defense are pretty pedestrian. The real unknown is Hill. I have to hope that STs have been putting in extra work this week. I see our O once again going through Bell.

Steeler-26
    Chiefs-13

"this place is a bit like Atlas Shrugged" ---Lemonhead

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

"Oh George, not the livestock"!

• I've got paralysis by analysis . . . so much information to consider. Here's what I've learned from reading the experts and watching highlights: the Chiefs aren't that great. Their QB dinks and dunks with an occasional throw downfield. They have a formidable weapon in Travis Kelce, but even on his best day he's not enough of a difference-maker. Alex Smith completed 46% of his passes in the red zone, and the Chiefs rank 30th in points per red zone appearance, while the Steelers red zone defense is among the best in the league. Smith has thrown six of his eight interceptions in the second half of the season, including red zone picks in losses to the Titans and Bucs.

A lot has been said about the emergence of Tyreek Hill. He has to be contained, no question, and I hope the kickoff and punt coverage teams stay in their lanes and tackle well. The Steelers can't be happy with having the third-worst kick coverage (24.7-yard average) and ninth-worst punt coverage (9.6-yard ave.) in the league. They haven't been getting better either; since the Dallas game, they have allowed their four longest kick returns andlongest punt return of the season. Hill is the Chiefs second leading receiver behind Kelce, and he's a threat in the run game as well. He has runs of 68 and 70 yards. His last 21 runs have gained 273 yards and three touchdowns. Hill has six receiving touchdowns, three rushing touchdowns,two punt returns for touchdowns and one kick-return score. Since Week 10 he ranks first among all receiverswith eight touchdowns overall. Look for Hill to be used in end around plays and / or some sort of gadget play cooked up by Andy Reid.

The Chiefs don't run the ball particularly well. Spencer Ware had 82 yards rushing in the Week 4 matchup at Heinz Field, but 46 of that came on one run with the score 43-7. Alex Smith remains a threat to run, but if he is not careful, he might get clocked. I don't think Andy Reid wants to entrust the game to Nick Foles.

When the teams met in October, Artie Burns wasn't starting, and Jordan Dangerfield started at strong safety because of injuries to Sean Davis and Robert Golden, and Ryan Shazier didn't play. Cam Heyward played a great game, and he will be missed, but the defensive line and the defense overall is playing a lot better now than they were in the beginning of the season. They are allowing less than 17 points per game over their last eight games.

The Steeler offense should have success against the Chiefs again. 8 of the Chiefs 33 takeaways, including 6 of their 18 interceptions, happened in one game, against the Jets. Remove that game from the equation, and their defense looks a lot less formidable. The Chiefs play a lot of man coverage, and even with safety help, Steeler receivers are going to get open. Remember, in last year's game at Arrowhead, Antonio Brown had 6 catches for 124 receiving yards with Landry Jones at QB. The Steelers have shown they can pass out of the jumbo formation, and the use of Chris Hubbard as a tight end will slow down the Chiefs pass rush. Ben threw eight of his 15 interceptions this season in the last five games. I hope he decides to throw the ball away instead of forcing the issue.

The running game with Le'Veon Bell is going to make the most difference. The Chiefs, with the 26th ranked rushing defense, have allowed 100 rushing yards 12 times this season, plus Carolina rushed for 99 yards in Week 10, while the Texans had 100 yards in Week 2 before Brock Osweiler took two kneeldowns to end the game. Bell is going to have another great game, not only because he is so good, but because his running style is so difficult to prepare for. If the Chiefs load the box, Ben will hit the hot receiver. If they don't, Bell is going to find an opening and burst for some big gains.

The Chiefs can't beat the Steelers in a straight up fight; they have to hope Alex Smith plays a perfect game, they get a splash play on special teams, and Roethlisberger throws a pick or two. Assuming all those things happens, the Steelers will still win.

Let's put to bed the myths about Arrowhead. The Chiefs lost two home games this season, and if Arrowhead is such a difficult place to play, why haven't they won a home playoff game since the 1993 season? They have lost four at home since. Add to the mix that the weather will probably dampen the crowd's enthusiasm, and the Steelers effective use of a silent count, and the conditions at Arrowhead won't make much of difference.

Speaking of conditions, Ben is a great bad weather quarterback. Bell is a great bad weather running back. The rain won't stop them, and the field itself is heated to a temperature of 50 degrees, so the turf shouldn't be particularly slippery.

24 - 17 Steelers. Look out Patriots!

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)

• FWIW ... at one point this week playoff tickets where selling for as low as $30 a pop because of the foul weather conditions forecasted for this matchup ( prior to the time change ) if I where a betting man ( coincidentally I am ) my money would be on a ton of those tickets where sold to Black N Gold faithful who will not let a little bad weather keep them away from a Steelers game , let alone a playoff game ...

Expect a lot of Black N Gold and many towels being waved at Arrowhead

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• score wise nobody " nailed it" a few rather close ones ( I had the smallest differential but wasnt closest in score) was real close between DSH and OSO but at the end of the day OSO was a tad bit closer and gets the nod from me .....

any objections ?

Ben Franklin

• I have never felt worse after a victory. Even after the win over the Bengals last year, we knew it was a gift, and without Bell & Brown it was going to be an uphill battle to beat the Broncos. This feels like the Texans going into New England. The Steelers have no chance of winning.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"

• I have never felt worse after a victory. Even after the win over the Bengals last year, we knew it was a gift, and without Bell & Brown it was going to be an uphill battle to beat the Broncos. This feels like the Texans going into New England. The Steelers have no chance of winning.

I actually had more worries going to KC than NE. Ben and Haley didn't play/call a great game but I sure have much more confidence in Ben than Rottweiler. I honestly think the Texans would have beat the Pats if they had a QB. I feel pretty good about this game and from what I understand there were no injuries on the Steeler side tonight.

I actually had more worries going to KC than NE. Ben and Haley didn't play/call a great game but I sure have much more confidence in Ben than Rottweiler. I honestly think the Texans would have beat the Pats if they had a QB. I feel pretty good about this game and from what I understand there were no injuries on the Steeler side tonight.

so OSO, why do you feel so bad? We went into one of the loudest stadiums, against one of the best "red zone" defenses, and won. I'm disappointed that our strong "red zone " offense performed so poorly.....a combination of poor calls and poor execution. But damn man, some great plays by everyone......Ben,AB, Bell, Deebo, Tuitt, Vince Williams, Gay, James, Boswell. I can go on, but when your kicking threes (and apparently that's all you got), enjoy the win and figure out how to get it into the endzone against the Pats. We have the tools...hell we kept it close with Jones in the regular season. We are due to beat them in their house.

"this place is a bit like Atlas Shrugged" ---Lemonhead

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

"Oh George, not the livestock"!

• The NFL is all about quarterback play, and the Steelers quarterback isn't playing very well right now. I don't see any evidence that he is going to suddenly improve.

The Chiefs were not as good as their 12-4 record indicated. The Arrowhead advantage is a myth, as proved by five straight playoff losses. Andy Reid is a terrible playoff coach. This game should not have been that close. The Steelers almost beat the Steelers, which was the only way they were going to lose.

The Patriots enjoy an actual home field advantage, not a mystique like Arrowhead. They have the best coaches, who will prepare a game plan to counter the Steelers' strengths. They will let Ben be himself, throwing high, missing targets and completing a couple to guys in blue jerseys. They have the best quarterback, who will not repeat his poor performance against the Texans. He will complete passes to receivers like Edelman and Hogan (a former lacrosse player for goodness sake) and we will wonder how they got so open.

I am upset because the Steelers have quite a collection of talent on offense, but they can't score. Keith Butler is going to have no answer for the one true Killer B. I am mad at myself because once again, against my better judgment, I allowed myself to be emotionally invested in this team. I'll go to the pep rally downtown this Friday, and I will be a nervous wreck all weekend. I will also go into a frenzy around 8 or 8:30 Sunday night when the outcome is assured, pack up anything Steeler-related, take a couple of Tylenol PMs, and go to bed.