Steelers at Patriots AFCCG Guru

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • Not much to analyze here. Steelers will be overmatched in all phases. 38 - 13 Patriots. Let the mock drafting begin.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)

• The Chiefs game was harder than this one, we just need to not beat or outsmart ourselves.

We learn from the Texans and others to attack the A Gap and disrupt the pocket, and even hit Brady a few times early, even if we take a penalty in doing so. Knock him the **** out of his comfort zone and don't let him back in.

They're going to focus on stopping Bell, but the problem with doing that is Bell's patience. The holes will open anyway, unless they dedicate someone to him all night and let Ben have a field day. Jesse James is emerging at just the right time. Our CBs may be up and coming, but their receivers are nothing too special, and we'll beat them playing man and not giving Brady his three yard quick releases. It's almost as though we've been drafting and preparing our secondary for this game.

Like Tomlin said: they say the Steelers haven't had to go through the Patriots in the playoffs.... but the Patriots haven't had to go through Tomlin either. Punch them in the mouth and don't let them forget it.

34-20 Steelers.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• The homer in me says Steelers in a landslide , the realist in me says we just never seem to get it done against the Pats and there is always an excuse as to why ....

but against all odds , the chip on the shoulder and the us against the world mentality see's the Steelers go into NE and beat them in their own house ....

Steelers 31
    Pats 26

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• I watched Brady at the team presser today and man does he seem burdened.I noticed it within the first minute, later a media person ask him how he was doing. I think the competitive drive to win at all costs, including cheating has taken its toll. The fun and joy of the game has been swallowed up in Bills humdrum bag of cheating. It's not going to help them any longer. The defense's arrow is pointing upward and they haven't reached peak yet, Ben will get it together this week.

Steelers 38

Pats 28

http://www.patriots.com/video/…e-play-our-best-game-year

• That unease that Shoes mentioned, it's legitimate. But I'm not so sure that specific reason is why. Looking at the teams the Pats have faced, and 3 of those teams twice, they haven't actually faced anyone like the Steelers as they are right now. That's not to say Brady won't be up for the challenge.

The Pats are the epitome of a good team that looks better thanks to their stats being padded against bad teams.

Listening to the pundits, the Pats are the biggest threat in the league since forever. They are destined to win this year. they can do no wrong!!!
    ...But looking at who they faced and how both teams performed, the Pats are on borrowed time. And the first few games, Brady wasn't even available to play. This league is funny in many ways, but one thing does hold true, you can't fluke your way to the Superbowl and not expect a team to punch you in the mouth. So if you're Brady, you may just have a bit of indigestion leading up to this game.

This Steelers team, as it is right now, is the most complete they will have faced this season. On both sides of the ball. Even the Seahawks were only so-so on offense, while their D carried them most of the time. Overall, the Steelers had a tougher schedule to deal with.

And, I just have to get this off my chest. Colin Cowherd, is a sad sack of goo :tantrum: if you look at the two conferences these two teams are coming from, take a good look at those teams and rank them. Leaving the Pats and Steelers out of it, how would you rank them?

1) Ravens
    2) Bengals
    3) Bills
    4) Dolphins
    5) Jets
    6) Browns

Right? Because the Bills were maligned by the Ryan bros, blundering the whole damn thing up, they managed to make the 'Phins look better than they actually were. The Bills are a better team than the 'Phins. But neither of those teams are better than the Bengals or Ravens overall. Even if you look at their performance over a 10 yr span, the Bengals and Ravens have performed much better than the 'Phins, Jets, and Bills. None of those three teams have been consistent for any length of time.

You look at their overall success, same story. Baltimore and Pittsburgh both have shown the ability to carry the water in the AFC North. The Bengals have problems balancing the cup on their head. Once one looks at the level of achievement from the AFC North, and compared to the 'Phins, Jets, and Bills, don't go poking sticks at the Browns. The Browns and Bengals are pretty much the limit for those three teams in that time span. That's as good as it's going to get for competition against the Pats in the AFC East. The Jets getting there once in 10 yrs is not a sign of consistency. And nobody has seen the Bills or 'Phins anywhere close to an AFC Championship in years.

But here comes Cowherd.....
    "The Steelers can't even be dominant in a division that has the Cleveland Browns...."

Dude, turn your mic off. Please.

Steelers 28
    Patriots 20

The Pats....they're going to play tough on both sides, but they just don't have the horses. Belichick will do his best to put his guys in the best position to win this game. And he will have them ready to play. But the Steelers have horses to go the distance in this game. And finally, for the first time in awhile, The Steelers won't have to worry about the damn weather getting in the way. meaning, they can open things up a bit more than they have the last couple of weeks. The Pats haven't seen this offense opened up yet in real time. They haven't seen anything close to this offense having been opened up this season. They played the Texans twice this year, the Texans actually made progress in the 2nd meeting....without a QB. Oh! save me the drama about the Pats having to knock off some rust. Didn't they say that Andy Reid was like 21-3 after coming off a bye week? So what is this flaming bag of poo about Belichick, The Great General of the NFL, not being able to have his team ready to roll against the Texans excuse?? I'm sick of the hypocrites in the media. Do they even know how they sound after saying stuff like this?

And yes, Cowherd, Tomlin was right. No, not just about the Pats being assholes, everyone knows this, and the Jets, Bills, and 'Phins call them assholes every season, including during the off season. But the fact that Belichick did have more time to prepare. The reason they looked bad against the Texans, I suspect, was because he was busy prepping for the Steelers. it's not the Steelers that have no excuse, it's the Pats, Cowherd. :starwars:

• Three reasons the Steelers are going to lose:

1) Coaching. The Patriots are going to have an answer for the Steelers running game. The Steelers are not going to be able to adjust on the fly to the adjustments the Patriots have made during the week of preparation. The Patriots have a plan to protect Brady, and it will appear in a form we, the Steelers coaches, and the Steelers players will not be prepared for. The Steelers are going to make it easy on the Patriots by outthinking themselves, like they did at Kansas City, by failing to give the ball to Bell in the red zone. Bell carried the ball on nine of the Steelers’ 25 plays inside the 30 against the Chiefs, but just three times inside the 20 and none inside the 10. They are going to do something equally puzzling on Sunday.

2) Ben Roethlisberger. No need to say more.

3) One Patriots role player will emerge as the star of the game. It might be Chris Hogan. It might be Rob Ninkovich. Somebody is going to be the guy we are all talking about on Monday when we say, "if only . . . "

I've got a headstart on the grieving process. I'm already at acceptance and watching T.J. Watt videos. I can take a break from that if the Steelers prove me wrong.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"

• Life's been crazy and busy. The Chiefs game is the first game I got to sit and watch all year, as opposed to reading about it later.

I think next year you're going to be able to buy Sunday Ticket without getting a Satellite TV package. Been tough finding/making time for things lately.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• If I'm not mistaken, each of the 9 playoff losses the Patriots have suffered in the Belichick / Brady era were re-matches with teams they played in the regular season. Belichick's loss to the Steelers as coach of the Browns was obviously a re-match as well.

This bodes well for the Steelers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/…f-losses-of-belichick-era

I was in Afghanistan and did not get to see the AFCCG after the 2012 season. Apparently, some of the Ravens were sick leading up to the game, just like the Steelers this year. Maybe the stars are coming into alignment for the Steelers.

• guys...i got this itching, burning feeling... no not that one. a good one...lol.

i have no idea why but i see someone having a breakout game, and his name is James, Jesse James. i swear i have seen Bell go off for 140+ yards and Brown get deep. and with the pats trying to cover deep and short i can see James in the middle with Rogers sucking up catches and yards. i think i see James get 7 catches and maybe 100 yards. my only issue is that i don't know if it is because the steelers jump all over the pats quick or if it is the steelers trying to catch the pats.

but i see a 10+ point difference in score... i don't think this game is a blowout completely but i don't think it will be a close game. i believe it will be a decisive win. as in not many lead changes. but possibly a score followed by an opposing score. but maybe the lead never or rarely changes hands.

the steelers have added more to their team in the form of talent since the first meeting. the pats on the other hand have lost talent since their first meeting. i believe this bodes well for the steelers.

i can't predict a score. i have gone back and forth as to who i think will win this game, but something inside says it will be the steelers.

• A flu ridden and distracted Steelers teams goes in to Foxboro and Patriots things happen.

Offense cruises up and down the field between the 30's and then in the redzone, Roethlisberger and Haley have no answer for the riddles the Pats put out there. I figure they show at least 8 or 9 different coverage schemes in the opening 2 drives. Steelers struggle to answer all game. Kick a bunch of field goals and sneak in a late touchdown.

On defense, they mostly contain the deep game of the Pats and limit the damage from Hogan and Bennett over the middle. Once again, they have no real answer for RBs in short area passes other than to send Shazier their way and hope. Floyd gets loose deep down the sideline on a total breakdown between Burns and Davis. Blount just wears out the Steelers injury and flu ravaged front wall and starts to control a low scoring game late in the 3rd quarter and into the fourth.

Not a domination, but just a slow steady march to a meager victory by the Pats.

Pats 24
    Steelers 22

• I think you are overstating the effects of the stomach flu on the Steelers. I believe the only starter to get sick was Chris Boswell, not counting LaDarius Green. If you are really basing your prediction on this, you might want to rethink it. Also, the over / under is 51. If the score goes under, the Steelers win, IMHO. DSH and Lemon has the Steelers winning with the total under 51, which I think matches recent trends. I think if you told the Steelers they would hold the Patriots to 24 points, they would be ecstatic.

• Alarmgate, the latest controversy in New England. They better hire someone to taste the food first, otherwise we might be reading about a botulism outbreak.

Can the team somehow use being woken up in the middle of the night and standing around for a half an hour as motivation?

• Justin Gilbert to return kicks today. LaDarious Green not going to be active, unless some miracle occurs. Who is the odd man out, Chickillo, J. Jones, or Fort? Chickillo is just coming back from his ankle injury.

• it's a damn shame when the entire country knows you have to play press man coverage against the pats so brady has to hold the ball longer and your defensive plan is to give a 12 yard cushion when a first down is only 10 yards away...

they deserve to lose this game if this is the best game plan they can put together.