2017 Free Agent Addition & Subtraction

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • David Johnson (Still not a guarantee to make the team)

Landry Jones (Very friendly contract terms; I like the move.)

Lost Marcus Wheaton to the Bears. (Not surprising)

Cut Karlos Williams (Need to find a back up RB and a back up to the back up. Rex Burkhead anyone?)

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)

• i was meaning allowing Wheaton to go expecting the return of Bryant in his place. because currently the steelers have Brown, Rogers, Ayers, and soon Bryant back as long as they reinstate him. Meaning why spend a pick on a WR? and letting Wheaton sign elsewhere might get them another good compensatory pick next year just as it did this year with letting some of the FA's leave that they already had replacements for...

• i was meaning allowing Wheaton to go expecting the return of Bryant in his place. because currently the steelers have Brown, Rogers, Ayers, and soon Bryant back as long as they reinstate him. Meaning why spend a pick on a WR? and letting Wheaton sign elsewhere might get them another good compensatory pick next year just as it did this year with letting some of the FA's leave that they already had replacements for...

gotcha ...

I am personally fine with wheaton gone , he was an under achiever IMO maybe he does better elsewhere idk ... as for drafting another many feel like this ...

Bryant is 1 test away from perhaps never playing again ...Ayers showed some promise late but is no guarantee just Like PS player Severin ( whom I like) , Hamilton did some nice things but we may have seen all he will ever be ( cut from several other teams prior to landing here ) DHB injury and limited production another year older etc .... Coates was all the drops fingers related or just worse hands than we anticipated ?? who is Tucker and Stewart ??? leaving us with Known commodities of just Brown and Rogers as certainties ...

we could have a very dangerous WR corp already here but it all hinges on 1 little word ..... IF

if Bryant stays clean
    if Coates proves to be reliable
    if DHB isnt over the hill
    if Ayers is the real deal
    if Severin is the player I think he can be
    if Hamilton is a late bloomer

lotta if's but really only a couple have to come through for us to be in good shape ... we will see how the team feels on the issue soon enough I guess

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• by no means am i expecting Bryant to walk in and be what he was nor am i confident that he will put down the bud. but i am fairly confident in their ability to find WR talent. not sure how they have done it but it seems like they have been able to. i am not against drafting a WR, i am just not sure i would like them drafting one early. unless he was something really special that they couldn't pass up on.

with the departure of Timmons they are now a little thinner at ILB but then again maybe this was the plan all along because they drafted Matakevich last year in the middle.

just now looked at the roster again. they still have Fort too... perhaps the ILB position is better than expected. leaving the big concern as CB and edge. the more i look at the roster the better i feel...does that make sense?

maybe an early WR isn't a bad idea after all.

• hell I have been kicking around the idea of Demarcus Ware ... Denver probably won't resign him as they have youth coming on ...

I know we already have old man James but we cant expect him to play near the snaps he did last year ... let #92 rotate series with Ware keeping both fresh and we would probably get a ton of production from them

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• Davon House, former Packer and Jaguar, is coming for a visit. He was cut by Jacksonville, but this article puts things in perspective. https://www.totalpackers.com/2…ne-succeeds-jacksonville/

If you don't want to read the whole article, here is the salient point about House's ability, "In 2015, he broke the team’s (Jaguars) all-time record for passes defended (23), led the team in interceptions (4), and was second in tackles (49) among the DBs.

Sounds like a solid addition to me.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"

• Davon House, former Packer and Jaguar, is coming for a visit. He was cut by Jacksonville, but this article puts things in perspective. https://www.totalpackers.com/2…ne-succeeds-jacksonville/

If you don't want to read the whole article, here is the salient point about House's ability, "In 2015, he broke the team’s (Jaguars) all-time record for passes defended (23), led the team in interceptions (4), and was second in tackles (49) among the DBs.

Sounds like a solid addition to me.

I liked House coming out of college , talked about him quite a bit here on the old version of the site but guessing those posts where trimmed long ago as the old host just did not let us keep as much content as we can now ...

he could be a solid 2 .. 2015 was first year as a full time starter but he will be 28 so contract length should be 4 years or less ( preferably 2-3 )

Ben Franklin

• Dont’a Hightower coming in for a visit. Signing him would be a "splash" move, and a most welcome one. All the pundits are saying he returns to the Patriots.

Jarvis Jones is visiting the Cardinals, but the Steelers remain interested in signing him as well. Can't imagine why.

• Not Steelers related, except for the fact that the Patriots will sign someone I think could help -- former Bengal RB Rex Burkhead.

• Dont’a Hightower coming in for a visit. Signing him would be a "splash" move, and a most welcome one. All the pundits are saying he returns to the Patriots.

Jarvis Jones is visiting the Cardinals, but the Steelers remain interested in signing him as well. Can't imagine why.

at around vet minimum I am all for Jarvis returning the further we stray from vet min the more disinterested I become .. being a vet of the system and a warm body has its perks but those perks do not come with a heavy price tag for me ...

Hightower on the other hand ...sign him before he leaves town is my perspective kid was born to be a Steeler LBer , was high on him coming into the league and mocked him countless times to the Steelers , wanted him then and nothing has changed ...

Ben Franklin

• Jones as depth for cheap is fine. Something that allows him to be cut at any point would also be key. Jones is not terrible but he is my definition of league average - you can usually find a guy that can do what he can do.

House was good early in his career with GB and fairly ok his first year in Jacksonville. Then last year, not so much. Another guy that as long as he doesn't want a ton of money, great idea. Likely not that far away from what Kirkpatrick can give you.

Hightower is a great traditional 3-4 ILB. Problem is, does that player still command a big time salary? What role can Hightower have on obvious passing downs? Does Butler and company want to move to a more coverage centric 3-4 with a SS/LB hybrid type flanking Shazier in the nickel?

I have no idea, but the offer or lack of one to Hightower should be pretty telling.

• hell I have been kicking around the idea of Demarcus Ware ... Denver probably won't resign him as they have youth coming on ...

I know we already have old man James but we cant expect him to play near the snaps he did last year ... let #92 rotate series with Ware keeping both fresh and we would probably get a ton of production from them

scratch that he announced his retirement today

Ben Franklin

• Hightower leaves without a deal. Twitterverse says Steelers offer was higher than Patriots, but lower than the Jets. Hightower used the visit as attempt at leverage because he really wants to return to New England but for more money than they have offered.