Lots of interesting training camp subjects to talk about.

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • Quoting from Mark Kaboly writing for DKonPittsburghSports.com

If this keeps up, it’s going to be quite difficult to keep T.J. Watt off the field, even if Harrison is in front of him. Through a handful of practices, Watt has shown he has multiple pass-rush moves and that he can be flexible enough to flip from the right outside linebacker spot to the left, then to the ‘rover’ linebacker spot in the nickel. During a drill where linebackers have to cover tight ends one-on-one, Watt was plastered on David Johnson so thoroughly that Roethlisberger just held the ball and refused to throw it. But the best play from the rookie came during the live team scrimmage period. Watt was able to get from his right outside linebacker spot all across the field to lay a monster hit on Knile Davis. Watt came from so far across the field, it first appeared that it was a safety who came up and made the hit.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)

• Dirty Red seems to making strides. He apparently is the back up to both inside linebacker positions. Again quoting from Mark Kaboly:

If you are worried about the depth behind Shazier and Williams, you might just be wasting your time. Matakevich has put together a strong camp and has been doing it running with the first team, filling in for either Shazier or Williams. Matakevich broke up a beautiful throw down the seam to Grimble and has been very active in stopping the run as well.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"

• good stuff , hearing tons of good things about Justin Hunter , and the rookie Dobbs as well . Hunter seems to be catching everything in the same zipcode with his huge catch radius and athleticism and Dobbs hit 14 out of 16 the other day and the only 2 incomplete where drops ( I think those numbers are right or close anyways )

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• i am kind of excited to see Dobbs play. giving football all of his time i think he might be a very nice surprise at QB this year. i kind of figured Matakevich might show something because with his college resume how could he not have something to show this season. he is a player. and if Hunter is as advertised thus far....wow what a group of receivers this team can field. who the hell do you cover?

• Matakevich emerged as the back up at both mack and buck positions. Pouncey compared him to Luke Kuechly, which is high praise indeed.

I'm anxious to see if some of the other defensive guys, who will be forced to play due to injuries to starters, are worth anything. Coty Sensabaugh, described as a "plug and play" corner, needs to play well.

Hilton will get a lot of snaps in the slot. I can't see him unseating William Gay though.

I hope Brian Allen plays well. If he gets a chance on special teams, he might squeeze on the roster and work his way up the depth chart. He's probably headed for the practice squad.

I think Dan McCullers is a dead man walking, especially with L.T. Walton getting reps at NT. Wouldn't surprise me to see them go with just 5 defensive linemen (Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Hargrave & Walton. That would leave room for an extra receiver or defensive back.

Ju Ju S-S is going to be great. We're going to see a lot of him against the Giants.

Mike Tomlin gave RB Terrell Watson the nickname "Nightmare." Let's see if he lives up to it tomorrow.

B.J. Finney gets the start at center. He has the back up spot nailed down, but he needs to play well.

Game time thread tomorrow?

• Things we Know Now:

1. Justin Hunter always plays well in shorts. Not so much in pads. His two best days in camp were in unpadded practices.

2. Mike Hilton is going to make the roster.

3. Dobbs has potential but is still a ways away from making Jones irrelevant.

The rest seems like will need some time to sort itself out.

• i haven't watched the game yet. but from some of the things i have heard the steelers do have some young players on this team that can play. that is a good sign. i also heard that Moats had a good game. he is a guy i feel they need to keep because he can play inside and outside.