Josh Dobbs vs Landry Jones

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • IF Dobbs plays well all preseason and surpassed Jones on depth chart what happens to Jones ? 3

1. Jones is cut (1) 33%
    2. Jones becomes the #3 (2) 67%
    3. Jones is traded (0) 0%
    4. who cares its Landry Jones (0) 0%
    5. who is Landry Jones ? (0) 0%

lets us know

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• i believe he gets moved to #3. reason being is they won't go into the season with 2 young QB's with no real game experience. unless Dobbs looks that good and Houston beats him out solidly as well. then i guess you could say they try to trade Jones or cut him. but i do not foresee that happening.

• i believe he gets moved to #3. reason being is they won't go into the season with 2 young QB's with no real game experience. unless Dobbs looks that good and Houston beats him out solidly as well. then i guess you could say they try to trade Jones or cut him. but i do not foresee that happening.

I am thinking if Dobbs beats him out , we roll with 2 QBs we have tough decisions to make at key spots that extra roster spot would help ...

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• to think of it, you're right. they have some serious competition at the WR position and in the secondary. they have quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball. enough talent that they will fill up the 53 man roster and also have to let some go that will probably end up on another team's 53 man roster.

• First of all, Landry Jones will be the back up unless this abdominal injury is worse than we think or if he suffers another injury. Second, Although I have long advocated for carrying just two quarterbacks, the Steelers will carry three, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted Dobbs in the first place. If Dobbs is second on the depth chart, Jones would be three. Third, Dobbs may looks good in the pre-season where there is no game planning or preparation for the other team, but he still doesn't know the offense as well as Jones.

Drafting Dobbs was as dumb as drafting Jones was.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)

• First of all, Landry Jones will be the back up unless this abdominal injury is worse than we think or if he suffers another injury. Second, Although I have long advocated for carrying just two quarterbacks, the Steelers will carry three, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted Dobbs in the first place. If Dobbs is second on the depth chart, Jones would be three. Third, Dobbs may looks good in the pre-season where there is no game planning or preparation for the other team, but he still doesn't know the offense as well as Jones.

Drafting Dobbs was as dumb as drafting Jones was.

playing devils advocate here a bit ...

Jones never looked good in preseason ( or regular season if honest )

Dobbs is literally a rocket scientist so uber intelligent , he may know the playbook as well as Ben in theory by week 1

that being said are we any worse off going with Dobbs if he plays well and saving the roster spot for an extra WR or DB where we are thought to have difficult cuts to come ?

Ben Franklin

• I don't care how smart Dobbs is, he won't know the playbook as well as Ben ever, weeks is laughable. As we've seen tonight, knowing the playbook doesn't help when you can't read a defense and go through progressions. Throwing high and generally all over the place doesn't help his case either.

No matter how many times we might wish against it, they are keeping three quarterbacks.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)