2017 Week 1 Guru Steelers at Browns

Hello members and visitors! The forum has been upgraded to a new server and new forum software versions. We are in the process of tidying up and making it look nicer, but for now, please check out our two newest themes: Steel Nexus and Steel Nexus Worksafe!
  • My apologies for starting this so late, but I was waiting to see if the Steelers were going to sign Calvin Pryor. ;)

The Browns have a young inexperienced roster, with significant holes in their starting line up due to injuries. Their defense can turn out to be pretty good, under the direction of Gregg Williams, but not this week,

I read somewhere the Steelers are 18-3 when facing rookie quarterbacks . . . not sure what time period that covers, and most teams are probably pretty successful against rookies, but I don't believe DeShone Kizer has any idea what is waiting for him. With the secondary improved with the addition of Joe Haden and the development of Burns and Davis, the pass rush is going to benefit. Keith Butler may keep things a little more vanilla this week, just because he can, but I think we are going to see a more active defense, with blitzes coming from the secondary, stunts by the defensive line, and just a more aggressive approach in general. Having said that, Kizer will complete a couple of deep balls, one to Sammie Coates. Mike Hilton gets a sack, T. J. Watt plays a solid game; Shazier produces an interception and leads the team in tackles.

Ben Roethlisberger is 21-2 against the Browns. The Big 4 or the Killers Bs, whatever you want to call them, are going to play well. Martavis Bryant is going to have a huge year, and it will start with a monster game against the Browns. 5 catches for 120 yards and two touchdowns. L. Bell produces over 100 yards combined, rushing and receiving. AB will quietly put up 5 or so catches for 80 some yards. The unsung hero will be Eli Rogers, who will make a couple drive extending catches on third down.

Game ends with Landry Jones in victory formation. 35 - 13 Steelers.

"In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)

• This game is a mess. All the new pieces on defense are still trying to come together. Kizer completes a couple of deep shots downfield where the Steelers DBs spend a bit of time after the play pointing at each other and saying "I thought you had him?". DL play and LBs are solid. Watt has a couple of "welcome to the NFL" moments where things he pulled off in college fail to work. Overall the defense plays well, but the splash plays are not there and the Browns move the ball better than most people expected.

On offense, Haley and Ben seem obsessed with force-feeding Bryant the ball. He isn't ready yet and it shows. The timing is all off. Same with Bell. He is a half-step slow to the hole and on his routes. Conner plays not enough and Bell plays too much. McDonald flashes, but the timing is off there as well. The offense is all herky-jerky and promising drives repeatedly fizzle out. The Wizard of Boz is called upon more than anyone would like.

Steelers scrape together a win, because it is the Browns. 19-12.

Final thought, Peppers shows from the jump that he is going to be a force. Makes life miserable all day for the Steelers offense.

• 42-16 Steelers bell get his number of touches ( 26 ) the results are hit and miss with them a big drop and a few missed holes but he does ok for himself with 135 all total yards ...

the story of the day is Martavis Bryant who proves he is still truly uncoverable even with rust

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

• They suck, we'll crush them.

I mean... we're gelling and shaking off the rust. Good thing we're playing the Browns this week. Closer than it should be. McDonald drops a wide open TD. He's going to go through the DHB "how to hands" programme and be a force by midseason. Conner with the TD that finally seals this ugly game.

Steelers 24

Browns 20

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• Haven't won Guru in at least a year feels like lol but if Mojouw wants to contest it, fine by me either way. I can start the thread as soon as tomorrow.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw

• Haven't won Guru in at least a year feels like lol but if Mojouw wants to contest it, fine by me either way. I can start the thread as soon as tomorrow.

Hate to say it Q.......it's more like 2+ years.:giggle2:

"this place is a bit like Atlas Shrugged" ---Lemonhead

"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

"Oh George, not the livestock"!

• Back in the day I would win now and then because I'd be the only person predicting a loss... x_x