Walk the Mock: 2017 Steelers edition

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome, readers and visitors! To get the most out of DraftSteel be sure to register for the site, or log in if you're already a member. Registered members can take part in forum discussions, comment on feature articles, and more - including poll voting, the arcade, and exclusive members-only access to Gameday and Draft Day chat rooms. We hope to have you join the conversation soon!

• Yeah, there will have to be some serious chopping to bring in another WR. And probably the biggest allure for Bryant coming back on board, is his contract, since last year didn't count.

My latest mock from walkthemock.com for PIT via Default ranking

1:30 - EDGE Takkarist McKinley, UCLA
      2:30 - CB Chidobe Awuzie, Colorado
      3:30 - CB Cameron Sutton, Tennessee
      4:29 - RB Samaje Perine, Oklahoma
      5:29 - DT Vincent Taylor, Oklahoma St.
      6:30 - QB Jerod Evans, Virginia Tech
      7:30 - S Josh Jones, North Carolina St.

I've been running this mock sim almost everyday, and....I been thinking that the Steelers would be alright if Timmons doesn't return. Having Vince and Matakevich, who's been a very nice addition helps ease that bad feeling. And it's not like the LB unit is hurting all that much. They pick up a very good OLB in this draft, and maybe go searching in the following draft for an ILB.

I'd bolster up the secondary, however, We know Gay is on his final leg, and being unsure about Golson right now, I went in this direction. And later on, I picked up Samaje Perine, because, D-Will isn't forever, and fact is, while I do like Toussiant, I think they could do better. Karlos Williams, is a very unsure thing. Brown-Dukes is sort of a fringe type. But Perine is a rock, a potential starter even.
    • Ayers, Hamilton and Severin aren't guaranteed roster spots. I would say Ayers is the only one on semi-solid footing. The status of Bryant and Coates in uncertain. From the "what they will do" perspective, as opposed to "what they should do," I can't see them not taking a WR.

Along those same lines, Gerry Dulac of the P-G thinks the Steelers are set at corner, with Senquez Golson coming back. I think that is a joke, but he claims to have some inside scoop. I think Gay should be shown the door, Golson is a major question mark, Cockrell is a serviceable starter, but not irreplaceable. Corner is just as urgent of a need as OLB.
      "In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
      Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)
    • One Side Only wrote:

Along those same lines, Gerry Dulac of the P-G thinks the Steelers are set at corner, with Senquez Golson coming back. I think that is a joke, but he claims to have some inside scoop. I think Gay should be shown the door, Golson is a major question mark, Cockrell is a serviceable starter, but not irreplaceable. Corner is just as urgent of a need as OLB.
      I pretty much agree with this .... I see it as this ...

1) Golson will be 3 years away from the last snap he has played that meant anything and that was at a lower level of competition on ....

2) Gay has clearly lost a step and he was never a speedster to begin with , when he is on the field you have no chance at successfully playing man and in todays NFL you almost have to play some man vs some teams or you have almost no chance of winning

3) Cockrell would be an excellent 4th corner , lacks the desired speed to play man as a 1 or 2 and not quick twitch enough to be a slot corner IMO ... had a rep as being a physical corner in college but we just have not seen it as a pro

4) Corner is a big need for this team and nobody could convince me otherwise as big as edge may be a stretch but not a big stretch ... coverage and pressure go hand in hand if you fail in either department your going to struggle
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • please don't laugh too hard... i never get to watch any college ball.

1:30 Sidney Jones CB Washington
      2:30 Jordan Willis Edge Kansas St
      3:30 Rasul Douglas CB West Virgina
      4:29 Ejuan Price Edge Pittsburgh
      5:29 Jake Butt TE Michigan
      6:30 DeAngelo Brown NT Louisville
      7:30 Hardy Nickerson LB Illinois

i just couldn't not pick nickerson in the 7th since he was there...lol in reality i probably would have drafted DE...
    • My latest mock from walkthemock.com for PIT via LMDLd4e2 ranking

1:30 - EDGE T.J. Watt, Wisconsin
      2:30 - TE Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech
      3:30 - EDGE Ejuan Price, Pittsburgh
      4:29 - RB Marlon Mack, USF
      5:29 - WR Ryan Switzer, North Carolina
      6:30 - CB Howard Wilson, Houston
      7:30 - EDGE Kylie Fitts, Utah

I'd take Switzer over Coates & Wheaton anyday.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shoes ().

• Shoes wrote:

My latest mock from walkthemock.com for PIT via LMDLd4e2 ranking

1:30 - EDGE T.J. Watt, Wisconsin
      2:30 - TE Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech
      3:30 - EDGE Ejuan Price, Pittsburgh
      4:29 - RB Marlon Mack, USF
      5:29 - WR Ryan Switzer, North Carolina
      6:30 - CB Howard Wilson, Houston
      7:30 - EDGE Kylie Fitts, Utah

I'd take Switzer over Coates & Wheaton anyday.

Switzer looks strictly like a slot guy to me. that being said, after watching Rogers and seeing that they drafted Ayers last year might a pick like that be a luxury pick? i really don't think this team is in a position to take a luxury pick given the window left with Ben. i do like how he seems to find that open hole in coverage and he seems to have good hands. i also noticed he has a strange running stride. it seems very short. maybe it's just me...
    • I wonder if they will have a definite prognosis on Ladarius Green before the draft. Jesse James is developing nicely, but he's no down the field threat. If Green isn't healthy, or if they figure he isn't worth the risk, do they abandon the idea of incorporating a pass receiving tight end into the offense? If not, there are plenty of free agent tight ends to be had.
      "In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    • Shoes wrote:

Interesting blocking TE George Kittle out of Iowa. G&B at SU brought him to my attention. Nice article on him also.

profootballfocus.com/college-f…all-around-tight-end-cfb/

landof10.com/iowa/iowa-tight-e…te-and-dominating-blocker

I think the days of the pure blocking TE are just about gone , if they do not believe he offers enough in the passing game he won't even be on their board .... I mean David Johnson FB/TE was always a " blocker only" and they even got him involved in the passing game this year with his limited reps on O .... not many Heath Miller types out there that can do both things at a very high level ...

Most TEs that can catch are more of the get in the guys way than they are true blockers

for me the money is in a pure move TE with deceptive speed unless that Heath Miller 2.0 shows up but I think we missed the closest thing to him a couple years back in C.J. Feidorowitz who put up a classic Heath kind of stat line this year 50 + catches 550 something yards and 4 TDs while helping make holes in the run game ...those types are few and far between
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • My latest mock from walkthemock.com for PIT via Default ranking

1:30 - CB Sidney Jones, Washington
      2:30 - EDGE Demarcus Walker, Florida St.
      3:30 - QB Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech
      4:29 - CB Desmond Lawrence, North Carolina
      5:29 - S Orion Stewart, Baylor
      6:30 - TE Michael Roberts, Toledo
      7:30 - EDGE Ken Ekanem, Virginia Tech
      Ben Franklin
    • Dwinsgames wrote:

Shoes wrote:

Interesting blocking TE George Kittle out of Iowa. G&B at SU brought him to my attention. Nice article on him also.

profootballfocus.com/college-f…all-around-tight-end-cfb/

landof10.com/iowa/iowa-tight-e…te-and-dominating-blocker

I think the days of the pure blocking TE are just about gone , if they do not believe he offers enough in the passing game he won't even be on their board .... I mean David Johnson FB/TE was always a " blocker only" and they even got him involved in the passing game this year with his limited reps on O .... not many Heath Miller types out there that can do both things at a very high level ...
      Most TEs that can catch are more of the get in the guys way than they are true blockers

for me the money is in a pure move TE with deceptive speed unless that Heath Miller 2.0 shows up but I think we missed the closest thing to him a couple years back in C.J. Feidorowitz who put up a classic Heath kind of stat line this year 50 + catches 550 something yards and 4 TDs while helping make holes in the run game ...those types are few and far between
      I think you're right Dwins, most of the TE coming out of school can't block!
    • Dwinsgames wrote:

Like it all but the QB. He's going to go in the first round anyway, if he has a solid combine and / or pro day. I wouldn't be surprised to see NE trade Jimmy Garoppolo, trade up for Cleveland's second overall pick, and draft Mahomes there.
    • One Side Only wrote:

Dwinsgames wrote:

Like it all but the QB. He's going to go in the first round anyway, if he has a solid combine and / or pro day. I wouldn't be surprised to see NE trade Jimmy Garoppolo, trade up for Cleveland's second overall pick, and draft Mahomes there.
      I agree he will likely be long gone , but got to take him at that point ..he was there so I took him :)
      Ben Franklin
    • Can anyone confirm the picks the Steelers have this year? Over on Fan Speaks On the Clock draft sim, they gave the Steelers 2 5th rd picks which would change quite a bit of things in looking at talent available and thought process...And somehow, I managed to get my hands on Derek Barnett @ #30..... :winner:

fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=hpspig

30: R1P30 EDGE DEREK BARNETT TENNESSEE

62: R2P30 DL EDDIE VANDERDOES UCLA

94: R3P30 S EDDIE JACKSON ALABAMA

134: R4P29 WR STACY COLEY MIAMI (FL)

174: R5P29 RB ELIJAH MCGUIRE LA-LAFAYETTE

182: R5P37 TE SCOTT ORNDOFF PITTSBURGH

214: R6P29 CB JEREMY CUTRER MIDDLE TENNESSEE

251: R7P30 QB JOSH DOBBS TENNESSEE
    • Compensatory draft picks will be announced sometime during the owners meeting in Phoenix, March 26-29. The full and complete draft order won't be known until then. From what I've read on various websites, the Steelers are expected to receive a 5th round compensatory draft choice. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for that; is it because of Steve McClendon signing with the Jets?
    • According to Chris Carter at DKPittsburgh Sports,
      The Steelers have eight picks in the upcoming draft:
      Round —— Overall pick
      1 ————-30
      2————–62
      3————–94
      4————–133
      5————–174
      5————–182
      6————–213
      7————–250
    • One Side Only wrote:

Dwinsgames wrote:

msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/repor…i=BBgET5V&ocid=spartanntp

Report: Browns have discussed trading No. 12 pick for Garoppolo
    • been a while. wanted to throw my simulated mock in here from fan speak. didn't cover all the bases but did cover the areas i wanted to get drafted.

30: R1P30
      EDGE TACO CHARLTON
      MICHIGAN
      62: R2P30
      EDGE DEREK RIVERS
      YOUNGSTOWN STATE
      94: R3P30
      S DESMOND KING
      IOWA
      105: R3P41
      WR ISAIAH FORD
      VIRGINIA TECH