Walk the Mock: 2017 Steelers edition

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome, readers and visitors! To get the most out of DraftSteel be sure to register for the site, or log in if you're already a member. Registered members can take part in forum discussions, comment on feature articles, and more - including poll voting, the arcade, and exclusive members-only access to Gameday and Draft Day chat rooms. We hope to have you join the conversation soon!

• the closer this draft comes the more excited i get. seriously, it seems like the steelers positions of need are actually positions that are wealthy in this draft...other than perhaps TE. they almost cannot go wrong with the defensive talent available for the secondary in this draft. edge rusher is very important for the steelers this year. if they can nab a decent rush backer in the first i wouldn't have any issues with what will be left available with the DB's in the next 2 rounds. would they find a shut down corner in second or third? i am not sure but, i like their chances of finding a very good DB whether it be a Safety or CB.

they really need man coverage help. i am willing to bet they can find a guy in the second or third that might be that guy but might be a little shorter than what everyone wants at CB.

i would give up size in my CB if he can at least be near the ball and the receiver as opposed to a bigger guy that isn't as solid in man coverage. maybe its just me?

as a quote from "Ice Pirates" goes...."little guys try harder"...lol
    • Mahomes is scheduled for an in house workout .... I would not be opposed to snagging him in the first then pounding the defensive side of the ball with a pair of edge rusher a pair of corners or a corner and S and grabbing a RB late such as Dayes from NC State or Conner from Pitt
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • Dwinsgames wrote:

Mahomes is scheduled for an in house workout .... I would not be opposed to snagging him in the first then pounding the defensive side of the ball with a pair of edge rusher a pair of corners or a corner and S and grabbing a RB late such as Dayes from NC State or Conner from Pitt
      chron.com/sports/texans/articl…es-shows-off-11042154.php

"Mahomes closed out an impressive workout with a 78-yard Hail Mary throw."

Yeah, but can he dink and dunk in the modern NFL?
      "In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
      Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)
    • They would probably find themselves reaching for one of those QBs, however. Mahomes, especially, when you consider how pitiful other teams are at the position. Not to be a killjoy, but, I could see the Texans going for him early on, throwing caution into the wind. And not even just because of his potential, but because of name recognition in Texas as well.

Of the QBs in this draft, I think only two of them really have a 'Day1' kind of feel to them. Trubisky and Kizer. Watson seems like he is just barely outside of Day 1 and Mahomes is just outside of that Day 2 place, IMO. I don't really see Webb as an actual choice as a decent starter in the league. Not sure about Kaaya. I think the best developmental QB is Evans, with Peterman behind him. And Dobbs seems more of a back up than anything.

But all of them will be thrust forward, because of the lack of talent in the league right now. Teams simply don't bother to actually groom QBs anymore. I still contend that if I'm looking for a starter in the future for my team, the first place I'm going to is Cincy. McCarron seems to be the only back up in the league with a reasonably high ceiling, with some success as a starter. He has shown he's worthy of starting in this league, the Bengals can't keep him as a back up forever.
    • DSH_97 wrote:

They would probably find themselves reaching for one of those QBs, however. Mahomes, especially, when you consider how pitiful other teams are at the position. Not to be a killjoy, but, I could see the Texans going for him early on, throwing caution into the wind. And not even just because of his potential, but because of name recognition in Texas as well.

Of the QBs in this draft, I think only two of them really have a 'Day1' kind of feel to them. Trubisky and Kizer. Watson seems like he is just barely outside of Day 1 and Mahomes is just outside of that Day 2 place, IMO. I don't really see Webb as an actual choice as a decent starter in the league. Not sure about Kaaya. I think the best developmental QB is Evans, with Peterman behind him. And Dobbs seems more of a back up than anything.

But all of them will be thrust forward, because of the lack of talent in the league right now. Teams simply don't bother to actually groom QBs anymore. I still contend that if I'm looking for a starter in the future for my team, the first place I'm going to is Cincy. McCarron seems to be the only back up in the league with a reasonably high ceiling, with some success as a starter. He has shown he's worthy of starting in this league, the Bengals can't keep him as a back up forever.
      I like Trubisky but he needs a lot of seasoning , I am not a fan of Kizer or Watson ..I favor Mahomes over them all and its not close for me , reminds me of a mixture of Favre and Ben , sure he has some things to learn but he can be thrown into action and still have success by school yard football like Ben does often times... reports he completed an 80 yarder ( in the air) to end his proday ... can't teach that kind of arm strength
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • My latest mock from walkthemock.com for PIT via Default ranking

1:30 - QB Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech
      2:30 - S Budda Baker, Washington
      3:30 - DT Jarron Jones, Notre Dame
      3:41 - EDGE Carroll Phillips, Illinois
      4:28 - EDGE Trey Hendrickson, Florida Atl.
      5:29 - CB Corn Elder, Miami
      6:29 - CB Jeremy Cutrer, Middle Tennessee
      7:30 - RB Matt Dayes, North Carolina St.
      Ben Franklin
    • Dwinsgames wrote:

DSH_97 wrote:

They would probably find themselves reaching for one of those QBs, however. Mahomes, especially, when you consider how pitiful other teams are at the position. Not to be a killjoy, but, I could see the Texans going for him early on, throwing caution into the wind. And not even just because of his potential, but because of name recognition in Texas as well.

I like Trubisky but he needs a lot of seasoning , I am not a fan of Kizer or Watson ..I favor Mahomes over them all and its not close for me , reminds me of a mixture of Favre and Ben , sure he has some things to learn but he can be thrown into action and still have success by school yard football like Ben does often times... reports he completed an 80 yarder ( in the air) to end his proday ... can't teach that kind of arm strength
      I like Kizer more than Trubisky, most certainly. A lot of people have Trubisky ahead of Kizer, I just don't see it. And to me, Watson is not that far behind Trubisky. I think a lot of people love Mahomes arm, as well as his ability to string out plays with his feet. So, it's not out of the question he could end up being like Ben and Brett....I don't know if that's all that's required, however. I mean, Ben and Brett had that attitude that accompanied them. I'm not sure that Mahomes has that kind of drive those two have, like nothing can stop him, "To hell with your defense! I WIN!" kind of attitude, know what I mean?

I wasn't sure about Kaaya, but just a cursory glance at some of his footage, he's definitely a better option than Davis Webb. He might be right there with Mahomes....

The post was edited 1 time, last by DSH_97 ().

• Steelers interest in Mahomes and other first round quarterbacks is a smokescreen. There will be some combination of Edge Rusher / OLB, CB, RB, and WR in the first four rounds.
      "In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    • One Side Only wrote:

Steelers interest in Mahomes and other first round quarterbacks is a smokescreen. There will be some combination of Edge Rusher / OLB, CB, RB, and WR in the first four rounds.
      you may be right , after Bens comments publicly what better time for an elaborate smokescreen , but at the same time what better time ( if your guy is there ) to grab you QB of the future ?

we have to guess because we have not heard the behind the scenes talk between Ben and the team , and that puts other teams where we are ...guessing
      Ben Franklin
    • The sense I get from reading what the local pundits have written, is that the Steelers brass recognize the Roethlisberger era will end sooner rather than later. However, at least for this year, the draft emphasis will be placed on adding those missing pieces that give the team the best chance to compete now, as opposed to trying to find Roethlisberger's replacement.

Interpreting what Art Rooney II says in the off-season provides clues as to what positions the Steelers will target in the draft.

In 2012, Rooney said Ben Roethlisberger needed to take fewer sacks. David DeCastro, Mike Adams and Kelvin Beachum were drafted.

In 2013, Rooney said they need to improve the pass rush and upgrade the RB position. Jarvis Jones and Le'Veon Bell.

In 2014, Rooney talked about the run defense. Ryan Shazier and Stephon Tuitt.

in 2015, Rooney said they needed to get better on defense. Bud Dupree and Senquez Golson.

In 2016, Rooney said that "we need to be better in general as a pass defense." Artie Burns and Sean Davis.

This year, "I think getting pressure on the quarterback more consistently is something that we strive to do,” Rooney said. “While I thought we made some improvements over the course of the season, we weren’t always where we would want to be. That’s a piece of the puzzle that I think we can identify we want to improve on. At times, we were strong against the run, and there were games we weren’t so strong against the run. Being consistent, I think, is something you have to identify where you would like to be."

To me, that says edge rusher, loud and clear.
    • One Side Only wrote:

The sense I get from reading what the local pundits have written, is that the Steelers brass recognize the Roethlisberger era will end sooner rather than later. However, at least for this year, the draft emphasis will be placed on adding those missing pieces that give the team the best chance to compete now, as opposed to trying to find Roethlisberger's replacement.

Interpreting what Art Rooney II says in the off-season provides clues as to what positions the Steelers will target in the draft.

In 2012, Rooney said Ben Roethlisberger needed to take fewer sacks. David DeCastro, Mike Adams and Kelvin Beachum were drafted.

In 2013, Rooney said they need to improve the pass rush and upgrade the RB position. Jarvis Jones and Le'Veon Bell.

In 2014, Rooney talked about the run defense. Ryan Shazier and Stephon Tuitt.

in 2015, Rooney said they needed to get better on defense. Bud Dupree and Senquez Golson.

In 2016, Rooney said that "we need to be better in general as a pass defense." Artie Burns and Sean Davis.

This year, "I think getting pressure on the quarterback more consistently is something that we strive to do,” Rooney said. “While I thought we made some improvements over the course of the season, we weren’t always where we would want to be. That’s a piece of the puzzle that I think we can identify we want to improve on. At times, we were strong against the run, and there were games we weren’t so strong against the run. Being consistent, I think, is something you have to identify where you would like to be."

To me, that says edge rusher, loud and clear.
      absolutely does mean edge rusher but does it mean round 1 ? going to be some good ones in round 2 as well same with corners hell if the " pundits" are correct there should be a couple pretty nice corner when we draft in round 4 in Howard Wilson and Corn Elder ( depends on the type of corner your looking for ) Wilson for my eyes looks every bit as good as WJ III everyone was so hot on last year and went rd 1 ...

was ART2 comments made before or after Bens would be interesting to monitor ?
      Ben Franklin

Post by One Side Only ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().

1:30 - EDGE T.J. Watt, Wisconsin -------Met with Steelers
      2:30 - DE Chris Wormley, Michigan -----Met with Steelers
      3:30 - RB Samaje Perine, Oklahoma
      3:41 - CB Jourdan Lewis, Michigan
      4:28 - LB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin ------Met with Steelers
      5:29 - TE George Kittle, Iowa
      6:29 - S Jadar Johnson, Clemson
      7:30 - WR Mack Hollins, North Carolina

I love Wormley, great player, leader and very high character

Also Jourdan Lewis, the play @ 2:18 is incredible!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shoes ().

• Shoes wrote:

My latest mock from walkthemock.com for PIT via Default ranking

1:30 - EDGE T.J. Watt, Wisconsin -------Met with Steelers
      2:30 - DE Chris Wormley, Michigan -----Met with Steelers
      3:41 - CB Jourdan Lewis, Michigan
      4:28 - LB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin ------Met with Steelers
      5:29 - TE George Kittle, Iowa
      6:29 - S Jadar Johnson, Clemson
      7:30 - WR Mack Hollins, North Carolina

I love Wormley, great player, leader and very high character

Also Jourdan Lewis, the play @ 2:18 is incredible!

still loving Watt and Kittle I see Shoes . good players and nice early eye on Kittle

good to see ya here
      Ben Franklin
    • Does it bother anyone else that they haven't met with Derek Rivers or Jordan Willis yet? I know they were busy with what's his face from the Pats, on the day Rivers had his Pro Day, and Jordan stood on his numbers from the combine, which was pretty damn good considering. Who could blame him? But the fact that they haven't bothered meeting with them privately is kind of concerning.
    • DSH_97 wrote:

Does it bother anyone else that they haven't met with Derek Rivers or Jordan Willis yet? I know they were busy with what's his face from the Pats, on the day Rivers had his Pro Day, and Jordan stood on his numbers from the combine, which was pretty damn good considering. Who could blame him? But the fact that they haven't bothered meeting with them privately is kind of concerning.
      they met with Rivers at the Sr bowl
      Ben Franklin
    • DSH_97 wrote:

Does it bother anyone else that they haven't met with Derek Rivers or Jordan Willis yet? I know they were busy with what's his face from the Pats, on the day Rivers had his Pro Day, and Jordan stood on his numbers from the combine, which was pretty damn good considering. Who could blame him? But the fact that they haven't bothered meeting with them privately is kind of concerning.
      He met with the Steelers today.

1:30 - CB Quincy Wilson, Florida
      2:30 - CB Desmond King, Iowa
      4:28 - EDGE Trey Hendrickson, Florida Atl.
      5:29 - TE Jeremy Sprinkle, Arkansas
      6:29 - WR Josh Malone, Tennessee
      7:30 - DE Isaac Rochell, Notre Dame
      Ben Franklin

1:30 - EDGE Charles Harris, Missouri
      2:30 - CB Desmond King, Iowa
      3:30 - CB Jourdan Lewis, Michigan
      4:28 - WR Dede Westbrook, Oklahoma
      5:29 - TE Jonnu Smith, FIU
      6:29 - LB Ben Boulware, Clemson
      7:30 - RB Matt Dayes, North Carolina St.
      Ben Franklin