Christian McCaffrey

Welcome, readers and visitors! To get the most out of DraftSteel be sure to register for the site, or log in if you're already a member. Registered members can take part in forum discussions, comment on feature articles, and more - including poll voting, the arcade, and exclusive members-only access to Gameday and Draft Day chat rooms. We hope to have you join the conversation soon!

• Christian McCaffrey

behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017…r-stanford-2017-nfl-draft

I agree with this 100%. How many times have the "wheels been run off" the starting running back? McCaffrey would not only be a great back up to Bell, he could be used in many complementary ways.

If no edge rusher or corner with a first round grade remains, and McCaffrey would slip to 30, I would sprint to the podium.
      "In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
      Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)
    • Can't say very much of anything bad about McCaffery. But to me, it depends on who's on the board. There's just so much talent everywhere in this draft. And depending on how you view certain players, it would be difficult to say you were wrong to pick that player at that point. At least until the 5th rd. I think it's the 5th rd is where things begin to level out. Yep, quality deep and skilled is the 2017 draft.
    • when you have arguably the best RB in the NFL on your roster playing on the tag ( high $$$ ) with hopes of working out a long term deal do you or would you spend such a valued selection 30th in the first round on another RB when quality guys will run deep in this draft ?

personally the only way I would is if I where intending on trading Bell away on draft day for more pics and frankly I just do not see that happening its never been our MO
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • Slightly fewer touches for Bell would be good for Bell. Having Bell and McCaffrey on the field at the same time would be a great thing. The Steelers would never do it, and they won't draft McCaffrey, but that doesn't mean the concept is a bad one. I'm tired of playoff games being played without the number one running back. Someone should devise a strategy to ensure that doesn't happen again as a result of overuse, as this latest injury surely was.
      "In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    • One Side Only wrote:

Slightly fewer touches for Bell would be good for Bell. Having Bell and McCaffrey on the field at the same time would be a great thing. The Steelers would never do it, and they won't draft McCaffrey, but that doesn't mean the concept is a bad one. I'm tired of playoff games being played without the number one running back. Someone should devise a strategy to ensure that doesn't happen again as a result of overuse, as this latest injury surely was.
      I agree we need to get someone to take some of the workload off Bell , but I do not want to waste high picks to do it when they have had great output from D-Will but when Bell is healthy they basically ignored the fact he was on the roster , I fear a high round rookie would be no different so why spend the pick
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • I wouldn't be upset if the Steelers drafted him although I'd be surprised if he lasted to pick 30. Bell hasn't made it through a full season yet and I don't expect he ever will

My latest mock from walkthemock.com for PIT via Default ranking

1:30 - RB Christian McCaffrey, Stanford
      2:30 - DE Chris Wormley, Michigan
      3:30 - EDGE Tyus Bowser, Houston
      3:41 - CB Jourdan Lewis, Michigan
      4:28 - TE George Kittle, Iowa
      5:29 - EDGE Ejuan Price, Pittsburgh
      6:29 - WR Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinois
      7:30 - EDGE Samson Ebukam, Eastern Washington

But would rather have something like this

1:30 - EDGE T.J. Watt, Wisconsin
      3:30 - RB Samaje Perine, Oklahoma
      4:28 - LB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin
      5:29 - CB Corn Elder, Miami
      6:29 - TE Michael Roberts, Toledo
      7:30 - WR Shelton Gibson, West Virginia

The post was edited 2 times, last by Shoes ().

• Shoes wrote:

I wouldn't be upset if the Steelers drafted him although I'd be surprised if he lasted to pick 30. Bell hasn't made it through a full season yet and I don't expect he ever will
      in a way I expect him gone before 30 and in a way I wouldnt be entirely shocked if he was there much longer than 30 , this draft is so damned strong and so deep only 32 selections per round early on and so many guys with 1st round grades SOME have no choice but to drop the trick is figuring out which ones LOL
      Ben Franklin
    • Shoes wrote:

1:30 - EDGE T.J. Watt, Wisconsin
      3:30 - RB Samaje Perine, Oklahoma
      4:28 - LB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin
      5:29 - CB Corn Elder, Miami
      6:29 - TE Michael Roberts, Toledo
      7:30 - WR Shelton Gibson, West Virginia

This is a terrific draft.
    • Dalvin Cook some believe is the best back in the draft if not they have him a close second ...

I have watched a lot of his tape and I am finding there is a kid almost nobody is talking about that has the same skill set but is a more natural pass catcher and NEVER gets caught from behind and he wont go in rd1 -2-3-4-5-6 and may not go in round 7 yet if you watch him he is as good or maybe even better than Cook .....

Aaron Jones UTEP
      Ben Franklin
    • Shoes wrote:

Cook surely has a big upside, but he also has injury and character background issues. Do you think He'll make it past R1? I'll check out Jones.
      I wouldnt draft Cook in rd1 , I would wait and take the less popular Jones and get IMO just as good of a player with better skills as a receiver
      Ben Franklin