Scouts Evaluate TJ Watt, Believe He’s A Top 40 Pick

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome, readers and visitors! To get the most out of DraftSteel be sure to register for the site, or log in if you're already a member. Registered members can take part in forum discussions, comment on feature articles, and more - including poll voting, the arcade, and exclusive members-only access to Gameday and Draft Day chat rooms. We hope to have you join the conversation soon!

• Scouts Evaluate TJ Watt, Believe He’s A Top 40 Pick

I'm really hoping the Steelers take Watt!

Pretty light day here at the Depot. We’ll round things off with some scouts’ take on Wisconsin OLB TJ Watt, a name that’s in play for the Pittsburgh Steelers at pick 30. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Bob McGinn is one of the best draft reporters in this process because of his “in” with several scouts, giving us some really good inside information.

steelersdepot.com/2017/04/scou…-believe-hes-top-40-pick/
    • Shoes wrote:

One Side Only wrote:

He's the only OLB candidate I would take. Add Watt's Wisconsin teammate Vince Biegal in the 4th and the Steelers will be set at OLB.
      I'd be doing backflips down my street if that happened!
      I want to see the vine of it !
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • mojouw wrote:

Turns out this was all about correct. Did Shoes do his back-flips yet?
      waiting on proof or it didnt happen Haha

Happy for those who wanted him but my personal feeling is Tomlin and Colbert blinked or had name recognition tunnel vision

I am never a fan of leaving more talent on the board than you take off and I think that happened at 30
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • Dwinsgames wrote:

mojouw wrote:

waiting on proof or it didnt happen Haha
      Happy for those who wanted him but my personal feeling is Tomlin and Colbert blinked or had name recognition tunnel vision

I am never a fan of leaving more talent on the board than you take off and I think that happened at 30
      Fair enough. Couldn't disagree more though. I think Watt will prove to be the best edge rusher not named Garret from the class. DB is deep enough to wait until Round 2. WR is deep enough to wait until Round 5. OL was just terrible. TE was a dumpster fire of over-rated slot WRs masquerading as TEs. QB was mined out. ILB is shaky.

I can't understand why Watt didn't get more love in this draft cycle? Combine and Pro Day #s that put him as a better athlete than Clay Matthews and slightly less than Von Miller or Khalil Mack. Those are three of the current top OLB in the league. It was only one year, but his production at UW was impressive. Unlike other prospects in the class (say Harris or Williams) he does other LB things besides rush the passer.

Plus, I've been reading your draft posts for a long time now and I can't remember the last Steelers first rounder you liked. Heath? Ben? Pouncey? :)
    • mojouw wrote:

Dwinsgames wrote:

mojouw wrote:

waiting on proof or it didnt happen HahaHappy for those who wanted him but my personal feeling is Tomlin and Colbert blinked or had name recognition tunnel vision

Fair enough. Couldn't disagree more though. I think Watt will prove to be the best edge rusher not named Garret from the class. DB is deep enough to wait until Round 2. WR is deep enough to wait until Round 5. OL was just terrible. TE was a dumpster fire of over-rated slot WRs masquerading as TEs. QB was mined out. ILB is shaky.
      I can't understand why Watt didn't get more love in this draft cycle? Combine and Pro Day #s that put him as a better athlete than Clay Matthews and slightly less than Von Miller or Khalil Mack. Those are three of the current top OLB in the league. It was only one year, but his production at UW was impressive. Unlike other prospects in the class (say Harris or Williams) he does other LB things besides rush the passer.

Plus, I've been reading your draft posts for a long time now and I can't remember the last Steelers first rounder you liked. Heath? Ben? Pouncey? :)
      Liked all 3 of those and loved Decastro and Shazier too , was luke warm on Burns but loved the Davis pick last year as well as Hargrave
      Ben Franklin
    • mojouw wrote:

But what is the basis for "more talent"? All I keep hearing against Watt is that he won't be the best player in 2017 - but what about beyond that? If he puts up double digit sacks for 2018-2021 is it still a bad pick?
      based on evaluations .... are they right ? are they wrong ? only time will tell

its a venture to not the best pick based on talent available and bad pick ....
      Ben Franklin