YGBSM!!!!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome, readers and visitors! To get the most out of DraftSteel be sure to register for the site, or log in if you're already a member. Registered members can take part in forum discussions, comment on feature articles, and more - including poll voting, the arcade, and exclusive members-only access to Gameday and Draft Day chat rooms. We hope to have you join the conversation soon!

• not a fan of this draft class either. although i did like the TJ Watt pick and Connor. i know there were probably better RBs the steelers could have taken but i liked that pick because before my brother passed away last august we were talking and he said how he hoped the steelers would draft him because he survived what eventually beat my brother. i hope my brother smiled when that pick rolled across the board.
    • Roster construction is more complicated than we fans likely know. I do
      NOT like this pick since I fail to understand why you can't just throw
      UDFA money at this kid until he says yes.

But, I also would like everyone to take a step back and look at this way
      - pull up the list of every player drafted between the now infamous
      long-snapper pick and the OLB in the 7th. Think about who the Steelers
      would have drafted instead. Now, I see a ton of guys they wouldn't have
      drafted and then I see these guys:

Rochelle DE/DTvwho one scout called "just a guy"
      Kyle Fuller - a center that most scouts say would be lucky to be a back-up
      Price EDGE- that might hurt
      Lee LB - might be useful or might play too upright to ever do much
      Harvey-Clemons S - would fill a role and push one of the terrible
      back-up safeties off the roster, but he is almost certain to get popped
      for dope again.
      Myrick CB - another player I might have liked to see them bring to camp and then likely cut in two years

These are not world beating options that were "missed" on because of a long-snapper pick.

Again, do I like the pick? Nope. But I don't have to know about whether
      or not it is difficult to find a LS. But what I can reasonably attempt
      is to look at what ONE player the Steelers missed out on and assess the
      "damage".

Frankly, I don't see it. Remember, you gotta take someone off the roster
      to get someone from that list on the roster. So for Lee, who do you
      cut? LJ Fort, Matachevich? And so on and so forth for all the players.
      Really the only two names that stand out for me are the Edge rusher from
      Pitt and the pot head at safety. I think there are reasons that both
      guys almost didn't get drafted.
    • Mojouw ...

its so much more than that though

for me anyways ..

we over drafted Watt , I get it many steeler fans love the kid and he may turn out great who knows but he could have probably been had 10-15 picks later

we addressed WR with a really good player whom I like a lot but I still question the need at that point to do so because we where not getting beat by the Pats because we couldn't score we where getting our asses kicked because we couldn't stop them and for me that is a far bigger concern because as of right now we do have Bryant ( that is a chance to be better ) we didn't have corners to stop the opposition and still do not on the outside because we drafted a man cover SLOT corner and waited till round 5 to throw a dart to man the outside while having just a 1 year tender offer to our other starting outside corner

we over drafted Conner probably by 2 full rounds and better backs where still on the board so the danger of losing him was nearly Nill

Dobbs ........ while I do not hate the player I think like Conner he was over drafted and seeing where Kaaya went pretty much proves just that to me

long snapper .... really ?? ok fine Gregg Warren has age on him he has been here quite a long time but if they where so concerned about that why did they just sign him to a new contract 2 months ago ?

Adams .... sure he has a chance but its a slim one as he is to light for OLB in our system so will need to get thicker I still contend their where better options Joe Mathis and Hunter Dimick went undrafted both played vs higher level of competition have a better mass for what we do and had greater statistical accomplishments vs higher level of competition

I give this draft a D+

maybe I am to harsh but I see where they are getting C's from others and seemingly only the homers are giving higher grades

steelerswire even posted an article today that gave them a C ( worst marks in our division )
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • Based on what is Watt an over-draft? I saw him almost universally mocked in the first round by reputable individuals. In my opinion there is no way that he would have got past the Packers at the top of round 2 if the Steelers didn't take him. I know they traded out of chance to take him in round 1, but Ted Thompson is an odd duck and I could see him taking Watt later and adding a draft pick to do it. Everyone wants to tell me that such and such player could've been had here or there. But the reality is that is all just a vaguely agreed upon shared fantasy. What round was Carl Lawson intended to go in? What round did he actually go in? Mathis was talked about as being one of the "sleeper" mid-round gems of the class and he didn't even get drafted. Now, that sounds like I am arguing that we can't evaluate "value" and that isn't really what I'm getting at. We can evaluate value, but it has to be around the questions of "how does this player fit the team that drafted him and what will his impact be over the next 3 years". To me that is all that really matters.

What round would AB go in if everyone had to do it all over? What is Watt's impact going to be? I see a guy that in years 2-5 of his contract will be getting 8-12 sacks a year, making impact plays in the run game, and solid in coverages. I'll draft that in the first round all day every day and never look back.

I already addressed why I think they waited on CB. Not saying I agree, but that is what I think the internal logic was/is. Personally, I would've taken Howard Wilson instead of Connor.
    • i like the Watt pick even in the first because it was a need and he truly was getting a lot of press as the "it" pass rusher to be... could the steelers have traded back and still got him? perhaps, but there are not guarantees that could happen. i think someone picks him really early in the second if the steelers hadn't.

as i said, i wasn't fond of the WR pick in the second even though i get why they did it.

I like the Conner pick but that is strictly because of a personal reason which i stated.

and as i said in the other thread i am warming up to the Dobbs pick a little.

the first 3 i get. the rest of them i really don't agree too much with.

after the first day i was an optimistic B+. after day 2 i was well ok... C.

but directly after the draft i was thinking a D grade in my opinion because of the needs they had and the talent the left when they drafted.

and that isn't saying much about the draft picks they made. i am no draft guru, but i do recognize needs and wants. they needed a lot of help, mostly on defense. to which they got some but not enough.

really, they made it to the AFCCG with their #1 WR and an average supporting cast, not much at RB because the #1 was way overused to get there, a 38 year old freak of nature at OLB that has to slow down sooner or later, and CB's that can't play man at all... as i said, i get the WR pick in the second and i am ok with the Conner pick because of need even though it might have been a little early, but a long snapper? when they should have been trying to find someone to get them over the hump of the pats...

why?
    • One last thing on the concept of value. The whole such and such player could've been had x number of picks later. Great. But unless that x is a full round later, a team isn't getting him. So, trade back. Well it takes two to tango and the revised trade value chart seems to make smaller moves less attractive. Just a quick thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • mojouw wrote:

One last thing on the concept of value. The whole such and such player could've been had x number of picks later. Great. But unless that x is a full round later, a team isn't getting him. So, trade back. Well it takes two to tango and the revised trade value chart seems to make smaller moves less attractive. Just a quick thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      record breaking amount of trades ( more trades than teams ) in this last draft trades moving back as little as 1 pick garnered multiple picks ( not the norm but it happened ) so just not sure where you are getting that idea from ... a break down of every trade and what the compensation was cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • mojouw wrote:

steelersdepot.com/2017/05/team…-draft-trade-value-chart/

Not sure a 5th round pick is enough for me to want to go back 7 spots, if I really have a guy I'm targeting. Outside of the first round, the trades involved fairly low round draft picks.
      forget the chart look at what actually happened ... over and over again
      Ben Franklin
    • trades that happened just in front of or right after our pick at 30

The Atlanta Falcons traded their first-round pick (No. 31), their third-round selection (No. 95) and seventh-round pick (No. 249) to the Seattle Seahawks of the No. 26 overall pick.

The Cleveland Browns trade back into the first round, getting the Green Bay Packers selection at No. 29 for the No. 33 overall pick (2nd round) and No. 108 overall (4th round).

The Seattle Seahawks traded out of the first round, sending their pick (No. 31 overall) to the San Francisco 49ers for the 34th selection (2nd round) and the 111th overall pick (4th round)

a damn sight better than you suggest
      Ben Franklin
    • And I clearly said outside of the first round there is not as much of an incentive to trade back. Of course it can still happen, but it may be difficult to move from the low 3rd to the mid 4th for a 6th round pick if most other teams are concerned they will miss "their guy".

And that is my point about "value". It isn't for me if a guy could'v been had 3 picks or 10 picks later. It is does this player fill a need for the team that selected them and what is a reasonable projection of that player's impact over the first 2-3 years of their career.
    • mojouw wrote:

And I clearly said outside of the first round there is not as much of an incentive to trade back. Of course it can still happen, but it may be difficult to move from the low 3rd to the mid 4th for a 6th round pick if most other teams are concerned they will miss "their guy".

And that is my point about "value". It isn't for me if a guy could'v been had 3 picks or 10 picks later. It is does this player fill a need for the team that selected them and what is a reasonable projection of that player's impact over the first 2-3 years of their career.
      what happened still disagrees with your thoughts , least these in rd 2 ...

The Chicago Bears traded the No. 36 overall pick and a seventh-round selection (No. 221) to the Arizona Cardinals for the No. 45 overall pick, a fourth-rounder (No. 119), a sixth-rounder (No. 197) and a 2018 fourth-round selection.

The L.A. Rams traded the No. 37 overall pick and a fifth-rounder (No. 149) to the Buffalo Bills for a third-round selection (No. 91) and the 44th overall pick.

The Minnesota Vikings traded their second-round pick (No. 48) and a fourth-rounder (No. 128) to the Cincinnati Bengals for the 41st pick overall.
      Ben Franklin
    • maybe it's just me but if there is a guy who is a need for my team and he is probably an upgrade over what i currently have on my roster at the moment i find it difficult to trade back in hopes of getting him a few picks later because i or anyone else seem to think he could be had at a later pick.

that is a gamble i am not sure i would want to take. especially with a position that is considered a premium position like QB or edge rusher. those are positions that are worth taking a flier on even if it is just slightly a need for your team. seriously, tell me how many teams are always looking for a OLB that has the talent that Watt has? had the steelers not drafted Watt in the first round i could see several teams moving up to draft him in the second unless the steelers only moved a spot or two down. at that rate what could you really get in trading down a few spots? is it really worth the risk when the team REALLY needs an OLB? it isn't like he might be sitting the bench for a few years. this is a guy that could possibly get serious playing time right away.

i have more issue with the selection of a long snapper than them not trading back a few spots. i wish they would have forgone the long snapper and possibly triple dipped on OLB or DB, or hell...even another DE. all needs in my eyes.

i know they probably picked Conner too early too. but that too was a need and i do like his running style. i think his style will compliment Bell quite a bit. were there backs available that had similar skill set as Bell? probably, but i think the FO really enjoys the smash mouth style of offense to finish out games. that is why i think they drafted him, as well as his work ethic and determination to succeed. you can never have too much of that in your locker room because that drive can be infectious to the other players.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ubudog ().