steelers add a TE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome, readers and visitors! To get the most out of DraftSteel be sure to register for the site, or log in if you're already a member. Registered members can take part in forum discussions, comment on feature articles, and more - including poll voting, the arcade, and exclusive members-only access to Gameday and Draft Day chat rooms. We hope to have you join the conversation soon!

• James was what a 5th rounder ? the highest TE drafted since Heath Miller ...

not sure what they are thinking ...

JuJu is a pretty beefy WR could they pile 15 more pounds on him and use him as a move TE ? maybe but doubt that is their intent anyways

Green is the real deal but he is made of glass so hard to take him seriously as a candidate to play significant snaps all year but maybe they don't feel they need it ...

4 wide and Bell give you 5 receiving threats

lord knows we have several deep threat options with Bryant back in the fold , Coates , Hunter ....

Give me AB , Eli , JuJu , Bryant and Bell and I think even I can find an open man ...that will be scary for opposing defenses
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • Why? What is a bigger threat to this teams championship aspirations over the next 1-3 years - lack of a dominant TE (assuming Kittle develops into that) or the annual 3 game shit show that happens when Roethlisberger gets hurt, Jones stinks, Ben rushes back, the team loses a few it should win, etc?

Then the other later round TE hopefuls (Hodges and Sprinkle) come at the cost of Allen. Again, what is going to be more impactful for the franchise? A TE or a man cover DB?

I don't know why everyone is evaluating the Dobbs pick as some sort of failure because he is not likely to develop into a "franchise" guy. If he develops into one of the most dependable back-up QBs in the league -- how is that a "bad" 4th round pick?
    • IF........ perhaps the smallest word with the largest impact on any situation .

I didn't like the Dobbs selection but I must say I have warmed up to it a LITTLE bit , maybe it is because I would prefer to do that than bang my head against the wall ? IDK

accuracy can not be taught and that is my biggest concern , the rest of the tools in the tool box are ( as Tomlin would say ) above the line ...

however the further the ball travels from the LOS the more accurate he becomes or so the stat sheets claim , maybe it has everything to do with him or nothing to do with him I just can't say without seeing a playbook and knowing where the ball is supposed to be delivered ... maybe his guys where just really good at tracking the ball in the air and running under it ??

we will find out soon enough I guess come preseason
      "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Ben Franklin
    • I'm not over the moon about the Dobbs pick, but I can see the logic. I am warming up to it as well and certainly think it is an attempt to fill a far bigger need than TE.

Hi college completion percentages were all between 59-63% - 60% is usually the minimum for the pros.

He got better over the course of his career in college and he played behind some bad lines which is where I think the mechanical issues come from.

Bottom line for me is that the biggest problem with Landry Jones is that he is slow to make decisions and hesitant to let 'er rip and take a chance on getting the ball into the hands of his playmakers. Dobbs college career strongly points out that will not be a problem with him. Dobbs makes fairly quick decisions (not always the right one) and he has zero problem letting it fly.

I think he might be an almost "instant" upgrade to the #2 spot (Steelers won't give it to him and they will for some bizarre reason let Jones hang out another season) and has a bit of potential to be more.

But this is coming from the guy who really wanted to walk out of this draft with Chad Kelly - so what do I know?
    • mojouw wrote:

Why? What is a bigger threat to this teams championship aspirations over the next 1-3 years - lack of a dominant TE (assuming Kittle develops into that) or the annual 3 game shit show that happens when Roethlisberger gets hurt, Jones stinks, Ben rushes back, the team loses a few it should win, etc?

Then the other later round TE hopefuls (Hodges and Sprinkle) come at the cost of Allen. Again, what is going to be more impactful for the franchise? A TE or a man cover DB?

I don't know why everyone is evaluating the Dobbs pick as some sort of failure because he is not likely to develop into a "franchise" guy. If he develops into one of the most dependable back-up QBs in the league -- how is that a "bad" 4th round pick?
      What team drafts a guy to develop into becoming a back up? Landry Jones is an adequate back up, and will continue to serve in that role for the foreseeable future. Because the third QB doesn't get any snaps in practice, how is Dobbs supposed to develop anyway? The selection of Dobbs was as idiotic as the selection of Jones in 2013. Adequate back up quarterbacks are easy to find in free agency. There was no need to draft one in 2013 or this year.
      "In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
      Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life (1900)
    • steelers add a TE

One Side Only wrote:

mojouw wrote:

Why? What is a bigger threat to this teams championship aspirations over the next 1-3 years - lack of a dominant TE (assuming Kittle develops into that) or the annual 3 game shit show that happens when Roethlisberger gets hurt, Jones stinks, Ben rushes back, the team loses a few it should win, etc?

What team drafts a guy to develop into becoming a back up? Landry Jones is an adequate back up, and will continue to serve in that role for the foreseeable future. Because the third QB doesn't get any snaps in practice, how is Dobbs supposed to develop anyway? The selection of Dobbs was as idiotic as the selection of Jones in 2013. Adequate back up quarterbacks are easy to find in free agency. There was no need to draft one in 2013 or this year.

Wait? What? This doesn't make any sense. Teams draft backup QBs outside of the first two rounds every year.

What adequate backup QBs are available in free agency? Mike Glennon got 15 million. Osweiler got more than that. Hoyer got a sizable payday.

Everyone wants to complain about the backup QB being bad. Why can't we have someone like AJ Mccaron. Then the team drafts one and that's the wrong move as well?

Jones is simply not good enough. He can not run the offense and is the single biggest factor in 1-3 losses per season. How is using a low fourth round pick to potentially overcome that a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • mojouw wrote:

One Side Only wrote:

mojouw wrote:

Wait? What? This doesn't make any sense. Teams draft backup QBs outside of the first two rounds every year.

What adequate backup QBs are available in free agency? Mike Glennon got 15 million. Osweiler got more than that. Hoyer got a sizable payday.

Everyone wants to complain about the backup QB being bad. Why can't we have someone like AJ Mccaron. Then the team drafts one and that's the wrong move as well?

Jones is simply not good enough. He can not run the offense and is the single biggest factor in 1-3 losses per season. How is using a low fourth round pick to potentially overcome that a bad idea?

Makes perfect sense. Teams draft back up quarterbacks all the time. I can't think of an occasion when a team that has an established back up drafts a guy for the purpose of developing him into a back up. Dobbs is a back up to the back up.

It doesn't matter who is available now as a back up, because the Steelers don't need a back up; they already have one. However, if you want to deal in hypotheticals, Ryan Fitzpatrick would have been a solid signing. They simply could have kept Zach Mettenberger.

What is ridiculous is all the Landry Jones hate. He is the back up, as evidence by the contract he received. He's only appeared in 16 games, starting 4. They won two of those games. How can he be held responsible for 1-3 losses a year?

Using a 4th round pick to select a QB whose ceiling is being a backup, when they could have selected any number of players that could be contributors this year, most notably George Kittle, is more than a bad idea.
      "In short, in life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard; don't foul and don't shirk, but hit the line hard!"
    • we need a backup who is capable of leading the team to victory not a backup that we at times win in spite of , Jones is clearly the latter

is Dobbs that guy ? I honestly do not know

nobody thought Brady was who he is either and many believe you should draft a QB every year from the mid to late rounds until you hit gold ... not sure I am in that camp
      Ben Franklin
    • mojouw wrote:

How about this. We can revisit in the preseason after they both play. We can watch Jones fail to move the offense. Let's see what Dobbs does in comparison.

Look back at the 2013 season. Gradkowski was the established back up. Landry Jones didn't compete for the back up role. The same thing is going to happen this year. Barring injury, Dobbs will not be active for any regular season game. Landry Jones didn't play at all until 2015, and that was because Mike Vick got hurt. If Roethlisberger suffers a significant injury, the Steelers will sign an experienced street free agent, someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick. If this were to happen before the trade deadline, and the team was in the playoff hunt, I predict they would attempt to trade for a back up quarterback before the give the keys to the car to Landry Jones. I think I'm solid ground with my opinion, based on recent history. Dobbs is the new Jones; much ado about absolutely nothing.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if Dobbs outplays Jones in the pre-season.
    • Dwinsgames wrote:

we need a backup who is capable of leading the team to victory not a backup that we at times win in spite of , Jones is clearly the latter

is Dobbs that guy ? I honestly do not know

nobody thought Brady was who he is either and many believe you should draft a QB every year from the mid to late rounds until you hit gold ... not sure I am in that camp
      Dobbs was not selected to compete with Landry Jones for the back up role, just like Jones was not selected in 2013 to compete with Gradkowski. Both selections were asinine, with asinine reasoning offered to explain both decisions. Knowing the uncertainty surrounding Ladarius Green, they should have taken a tight end. They should have taken a player at almost any other position over a quarterback.

Like I said in response to mojouw's post, I predict the Steelers would look for another, more experienced quarterback in the event Roethlisberger is lost for the season or a significant portion of it.

Back to the subject of tight ends, I think the "loss" of Ladarius Green isn't a loss at all, since he contributed very little last season. More to the point, the type of tight end Green is (or was) differs greatly from the type of tight end the Steelers' offense has employed in the past. I bring this up to illustrate the debate over form follows function vs. function follows form. Green's skill set (form) altered the scheme (function) of the offense. Clearly if Green was healthy or if they had selected a similar player in the draft, Haley's offense would have changed to accommodate that skill set. However, the counterpoint to that way of thinking is to say the tight end in the Steelers offense is supposed to be an all around player, a la Heath Miller. The Steelers look at the OLB position the same way. So, it would have made sense to draft a guy like Kittle, even if they thought Green was healthy.

My prediction for the tight end position is James / Grimble / Orndoff. I think we will an increased use of 4 and 5 WR sets in place of an athletic TE split wide like Green. On a related note, I think there is a possibility the RB position will be filled by just three guys, Bell, Conner and Nix, with an extra receiver kept on the roster. Similar to the QB position, I believe the Steelers would look for a more experienced guy in case Bell suffered a serious injury, someone like DeAngelo Williams, assuming he hasn't signed with another team, or Knile Davis, who I think my be caught up in a roster numbers crunch.